how often do I feed?

scary

I am new to all of this and I have a basic question.
How often do I feed my 2 damsels?
I have a 29 gallon hex tank with 40 pounds of LR and 2 inches of LS
I also have 3 turbo snails and 5 teeny tiny snails.
The tank has been established for 3 weeks , so I am still cycling.
I have been feeding them frozen brine shrimp. But how much and how often should I be doing this. They always seem so hungry!
Thank you!

leona

First off you shouldn't have any inverts if your still cycling. Your turbo's might not make it.
Fish are always hungry. I would think for two damsels 1/4 a cube (little less) if your using the bigger cubes. 2x a day would be fine. What are your levels at?
Leona

scary

I'm on way to get my water tested at the lfs.
I'm glad you said 2 times a day 1/4 cube - thats what I've been doing.
It's so hard to find a straight answer at my lfs - the kid told me turbos and snails were needed now to clean the live rock and sand. I'm so grateful for this site - it really has great info on it. Hopefully my water will test out ok today- I started with ocean water from a box , so maybe that helped the level be a little steadier than if I made it from tap and instant ocean.
I'll keep a close eye on the snails. So far so good - but it's only been a few days.
Thanks for the advise

ophiura

I would disagree with this for a number of reasons -
But first will enquire after your water parameters - not only now but has your ammonia spiked?
Brine is a very poor (and expensive) staple food. I do not recommend that it be used as a primary diet. It doesn't have much nutritional value.
You already have a lot of LR that the damsels will, and should, graze on. This should be taken into account as a source of food.
Though it is not a precise estimate, the stomach of a fish is roughly the size of its eye...so they would need very few shrimp to fill them up - though they will keep trying to eat it...but it is still wasted.
So I would suggest some more diversity - including flake, pellets, or other types of frozen formulations. But with LR I would stick to one time a day, at most what is eaten in a minute. As the tank matures you may even go with less....I had a damsel for 8 years or so that I maybe fed a few times a week - and mostly to feed the brittlestars I had, but he still had a gut. Lots of bugs and algae to chow down on with LR if things are going well.
But this also depends on the stage of the cycle as well.