How often do y'all clean your skimmers?

hairtrigger

No, not empty the cup. :rolleyes:
I mean, actually disconnect the pump and give the skimmer itself a good spring cleaning.
I'm just wondering if doing this makes the skimmer more effective or not.
And if you know the answer to that flat-out, please fill me in. Thanks. :cool:

plum70rt

Once a week,easy to take out so thats what I do,It could go longer though, More effective? , I dont think it makes a difference, just like to have it all clean

hairtrigger

Wow plum. Once a week. :eek: I clean mine more like once a year. I should probably reconsider this. I suppose cleaning the passage would allow more foam to go through. Makes sense. :cool:

kpogue

I clean mine (2 of them) completly about every 6 weeks or so. I've researched skimmers and skimming, and have found that a dirty skimmer does cut back on its effectiveness.

wetone

Just cleaned my Precision Marine Bullet 2 after about 8-10 weeks on service (first time, I just got it). It seems to be working better now. It always worked good before, but the gunk is now like mud and when I walk into the filter room it smells like something died (all my sumps/refugium, pumps,skimmer etc. share a backroom with our laundry....my wifes ready to kill me !!!). I don't know if this is because of initial break in and the cleaning or I just dialed it in a little better.......but its kicking ass!!!

joerdie

hay plum70!! do you have any pics of that hole room? it looks like you have a setup similar to the one that im wanting to build (i assume it is in a seperate room adjasent to the display) if you have any i would apprieciate it!!
i clean mine..... well not counting the cup.....uuuhhh.... i plead the fifth.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't clean. Too many kills on snails, pods when I clean. My skimmer is a HOT, and many little critters, come and go in and out of the skimmer.

richard rendos

I currently have an ETSS Reef Devil III and clean the collection cup when needed, and completely disassemble and clean everything about 3 or 4 times a year. I just got my new skimmer and will be hooking it up this weekend...I guess I will clean it about the same...here is the new skimmer...

leigh

of course plum's looks like it's in a separate room--the space in the stand under a 260 gallon tank is bigger than a lot of rooms on campus here :)
-leigh

newfishliny

I HAVE A AQUA C 120 FOR MY 90 TANK, I CLEAN THE CUP AS NEEDED. ONCE A WEEK OR TWICE. I CLEAN THE MAIN CYLINDER EVERY TWO WEEKS , THE SLUDGE BUILDS UP ON THE WALL AND BY DUEING THE CLEANING THE SKIMMER WORKS ALOT BETTER AND THERE IS NO BREAK IN TIME REALLY.
new fish

chinnyr

I have a prizm and just cleaned it for the first time in a year.Made for alot less noise!There were lots of critters living in it so I did,nt scrub it out,just wiped it out.I cleaned the intake tube because the coraline was getting pretty thick in there.If it gets bad again I'll probably clean it out again in 6 months.

hairtrigger

Nice. I think my skimmer is due for a cleaning. Plum, that's the same skimmer I run. I am very pleased with it. How about you? And what the heck is that ginormous coral on the very right side of your tank. Thing is huge man. I like that finger leather too. An LFS here in Atlanta has a huge one like that I am thinking about purchasing. I want two or three large specimens in my tank. And Iam too impatient to grow out what I have. :cool:
Thanks yall. This is good to know. Because my skimmmer needs just a little boost in its cleansing capabilities. And I think cleaning it would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I am looking into this venturi booster too. Thanks again. :cool: