How often do you change water?

cells

How often do you change water? And everytime you chage water, much much percentage of the water do you change?

fshhub

depends on the particulars of the tank, with a dsb and lots of live rock and a skimmer, I would go 10% every 2 weeks or so.
without a skimmer, or a dsb, I would do more larger water changes.
What are your particulars(size, stock, equipment, and LR/LS)?

nm reef

Boh my reef and my fish only systems get a 10% water change about once a month...makes sense to me to remove old water and replace with new on a somewhat regular basis...plus it is a good way to remove toxins not tested for and to replace trace elements not tested for. :cool:

cells

I have a 29g with 20 lbs of LR, and 40 lbs of LS, fuval 302 canister.
4 hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, 4 cerith snails, 2 domino damsels, 8 ghost shrimps.
So is 10% water change every month enough?
Thanks.

sterling

Boy, I gotta tell ya, I don't do many water changes. So far, no regrets. I siphon the garbage off the sand sometimes and then replace the water. I guess in the past 8 months I've done a 10% water change maybe once a month. That sounds about right. I'm always adding evaporated water.

twoods71

Generally 10% a month. It varies though depending on the system conditions. If I feel like more water changes are needed to keep things in balance I will do them.