How often do you do your water changes?

wildbunch

Once every 2 months. I add "essential elements" every 2 to 3 weeks. I loose only about 2.5 Gallons of water every 1.5 weeks.
I think the Key is "Live Rock". It has almost eliminated all the Algae problems that I was having. It must do something great for the water.
I can tell you this. The books say every change every 2 to 4 weeks about 20%. Of course they are going to be conservative! It is human nature to be conservative when giving recommendations.
I do 17% (30 Gallons) once every 2 months in my 175. Why? Cause it fits in a trash can.
I do agree that they need to be done. Probably a little more often than I do, but I am lazy. Nothing has died so I haven't changed my ways.
Good luck.

piscesblue

I've taken the maintenance out of my tank. In my 30gal I have 50lbs LR with soft corals, 3 shrimp, 1 Pygmy Angel and 1 Six Line Wrasse. I only replace evaporated water when needed and feed every 2 weeks. I only feed 1/4 cube of Brine Shrimp to give my hermits and shrimp a treat. My Angel picks at the rocks and my Six Line eats the bugs. They don't even act interested when I add food now. I'll never have an overstocked tank again! This is how a reef should be. I started this feeding regiment 2 months ago when I cleared my tank of excess fish and bought my Six Line. The have not lost an ounce of weight and seem happy cruising THEIR reef for food. I sure hope this isn't a fairytale and lasts. I plan on changing 5-10gals every 2 months or so, just in case.