How often do you have to replace the filter on RO/DI units

bmkj02

I have a 125g tank. Thinking of purchasing a ro/di unit to avoid going so much to the LFS for water. How often do these filters have to be replaced and whats a good not so expensive brand. I have seen unit for $160 to like $400. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes its just name brands. Thanks

florida joe

Generally speaking prefilters should be changed every six months or 2500 gallons of produced water which ever comes first. Membrane replacement about 2-3 years or 12000-18000 gallons of produced water whichever comes first.
I use a Prue-Flo II and like it

donald

Buy a TDS meter, it is the best way to tell when its time to change the filters. My filters last a little over a year. The DI filter is suposed to last for somewhere near five years. I bought a unit that cost 200$, it came with a little hand held TDS meter, i got mine from a big site, all they do is filters. I dont know if i can mention then on here, but the "AIR" is clean, the "WATER" is pure and the "ICE" is always cold.

scrapman

Where to buy a TDS meter?
I have never seen one.
What exactly does it measure?
What does it cost?
Thanks

pete159

i paid 40$ plus shipping for a TDS. It measures everything thats in the water and gives you a reading from 0.00 and up. my tap water reads .345 but after my RO/DI it reads 0.00 which is perfect. After awhile it starts going up, right now its reading 0.03 but thats still fine for a fish tank, when it gets to 0.07 i will order new filters for it. Yo can get a dect ro/di for less then $200

florida joe

First TDS meters do NOT read everything in your water and it only reads a percentage of your total dissolved solids

rmeaux

I just bought one from a bulk reef supply company and very pleased with it. Came with the pressure gauge, TDS meter, Auto shut off valve, float switch and, a new set of filters. Couldn't go wrong for under 200.

bmkj02

Anyone know if Melevsreef brand is any good. Seems to be. $169 plus $25 s&h. I believe its a 5 stage.