how often should i clean my wetdry?

peckhead

how often should i clean my wet dry. its a proclear aquatics 75 with bio balls. and a 44 gallon tank. and when i clean it...how should i do it and what should i clean? thanks

michaeltx

I would say at the very least once a month but I dont have a wet/dry so maybe someone that has one can say a little more deffinate.
mike

krull001

you really dont need to clean your sump... if its setup right you shouldn't have to touch it..... could do more harm than good

peckhead

so i dont have to ever clean the balls? or change the mesh pad(filter?) under the balls? what about taking out the balls? am i supposed to do this?

michaeltx

If you leave the balls in there and not clean them on occasion they will trap things that will start to decay and become a nitrate factory.
A sump filter using LR doesnt need to be cleaned but with biomedia yes it does need to be cleaned up. the best way is to rinse them with saltwater so that it doesnt kill the bacteria that has grown on the balls themselves.
HTH
Mike

clintjj

If you have a filter pad you should change that when it gets dirty, but other than that leave it alone. If you move the bio balls around you'll mess the bacteria up and get an amo spike. Just set it and forget it

peckhead

lol so which one should i do? you guys are giving different answers. should i leave it or clean it??

michaeltx

think of a wet dry filter as a big mechanical filter that will trap and collect anything that goes into like hang on filters. well if you dont get all the debris*excess foods and deterous* it will start to decay in the filter and cause the nitrates to go up. and continue to until either its all gone or cleaned out the only problem is that you will have a constant supply coming in from the main tank because you have fish and you feed the fish so the cycle continues.
SO basically if you dont clean it out on occasion along with the hang on filters they will eventually cause problems with your nitrates!
just dont clean them off in Freshwater use saltwater so you dont kill any of the bacteria that has colonized the bio balls.
Mike

clintjj

3 years on my wetdry with no problems. Just letting you know but make your own decision. Cleaned it every month for the fist 6 months with amo. spikes after cleaning it with salt water. Then was advised to just leave it alone and haven't had amo. since

joncat24

i would get rid of the bio balls and replace them with live rock rubble. then the only thing you have to clean is the filter pad once every couple weeks to a month

michaeltx

this is one of those things that we each have a strong opinion on he has had success and I dont have one but see horror stores of nitrate build up. sometimes off the beaten path stuff works and other times it doesnt.
You will either need to wait on some others to add their input or try one method if it doesnt work then change. This hobby is always changing and will continue to do so. If you choose not to clean it just keep an eye on the levels and if they start to get out of hand remember what might be the cause and correct it from there.
a prime example of things changing is the use of CC when I first started if you used sand you were doomed now its the other way around as we learn what or critters need and figure out what makes that happen.
Mike

royal gang

Originally Posted by peckhead
so i dont have to ever clean the balls? or change the mesh pad(filter?) under the balls? what about taking out the balls? am i supposed to do this?
definately clean ur balls

fbm

I have been cleaning my balls once a month, but only half of them. I put a plexi glass divider between my chamber. Then once a month I take out half and rinse in old tank saltwater and put them back in. I have not had a ammonia spike yet. Nor have I gotten anything off of my balls either. So I don't know if this is a neccesity or not, but I will continue to do so just in case.