how often to change lights in the nano?

kerriann

I have a 24 gal JBJ nano tank that i've had up for about 8 months now and I'm curious as to how often everyone changes their bulbs in their nanos?? just starting into corals and I'm nervous about proper lighting...

spanko

When I had the hood on my Bio Cube I changed ou tthe light at 6-8 months. I am a tad anal about the bulbs and loosing their spectrum especially the CF's. I now have MH and will change that bulb every 6-8 months also.

kerriann

on that note, would it be advisable to change to metal hallides if i'm looking to add corals now? or are the compact fluorescents ok?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
http:///forum/post/2502266
on that note, would it be advisable to change to metal hallides if i'm looking to add corals now? or are the compact fluorescents ok?
Depends on what type of corals you want to add. All soft corals do fine with the stock lighting and some LPS. Definatly no SPS... I upgraded mine with the 24" nova extreme sundial t-5's 4@ 24 watts of HO Lights. Everything came to life. But MH was also something I considered too.

kerriann

next question, as i am COMPLETELY clueless on the operational side of the tanks - i usually have the boyfriend maintain the electronics n stuff - will MH bulbs fit in my hood or will i need to look into changing that?

cowfishrule

my act03 bulb just blew- literally 6 months to date of the start of this tank.
wikkid scary.
since i ordered a new bulb, i might as well replace the 10k bulb... in about 2 weeks.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
http:///forum/post/2502326
next question, as i am COMPLETELY clueless on the operational side of the tanks - i usually have the boyfriend maintain the electronics n stuff - will MH bulbs fit in my hood or will i need to look into changing that?
You will most likley ditch the hood and run an open top tank if you go with MH lights. If you could work them into your hood (a feat all in its own) you would most definatly have to contend with the heat issue.

snaredrum

As far as your PC's in that nano. Once mine hit 10 months, hair algea started. I pulled the algea out and replaced the bulbs. Problem solved. So I'd say 10 months.