How often to do water changes?

U

usirchchris

Just watch the water parameters. As long as they are coming out OK I would not change anything. If they are not OK do more changes.

stanlalee

I do weekly without exception and if I see a little cyno, algae or anything indicating nutrients have crept up a middle of the week water change isn't out of the question (Just did one today matter of fact, only about 2.5 gallons). having only a 30g water changes are really no big deal and I only do 5 gallons weekly. I could probably go longer but with this routine I dont even have to run a magfloat across the glass between changes if I dont want to. everything stays pretty clean. On the biocube 14 I do 2.5-5gallon weekly changes (its fairly new, skimmerless and going thru the new tank progressions so no amount of water changes keep it looking good without elbow grease). the smaller the tank the more important staying on top of water changes are IMO. when I had a 100g I only did 15g every 2weeks and it was ram packed with fish and coral, fed 2-3x daily and did fine. I could never do that with the current tanks without issues.

mech-a-nic

I change my as only after testing says in need to. I have been as long as 6 months and as short as 1 week. Everyone has a differnt idea on this my buddy at the LFS says longer waits inbetween changes is easyer on corals. I am not sure if its true but I buy salt or premixed from him so I dont see why he would tell me to wait longer to change the water if it wasnt true.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Mech-a-nic
http:///forum/post/3075473
I change my as only after testing says in need to. I have been as long as 6 months and as short as 1 week. Everyone has a differnt idea on this my buddy at the LFS says longer waits inbetween changes is easyer on corals. I am not sure if its true but I buy salt or premixed from him so I dont see why he would tell me to wait longer to change the water if it wasnt true.

He probably makes more money off of the dead corals than the salt.
Just jokes

coral keeper

I do weekly 15% water changes on my 28 gallon SPS/LPS dominated reef. I don't wait till the parameters start to go bad or till algae starts growin'.

spanko

29 biocube I do 4.4 gallons per week. this is the container size of Nutriseawater natural seawater.

dragonboy

For reef's with less fish you can go longer but if its a fish only tank you probably have to do it every week or every two weeks. Just base on your bio load and how much you feed.

deejeff442

i try every week a 15% change.
dont wait till the tests start to show readings,it will take a bigger water change like 50% to get them back down.
more frequent smaller changes is better to keep the water stable.
when water in a tank sees a change an algea bloom is sure to follow.