How prone are Blue Hippos...

drea

idk man............. i thought a uv sterilizer dosen't kill ich? thats what is said around here

L

luvtangs

Im hooking mine up in a few minutes,. My LFS says it is AWESOME to have this. They say it does kill ich, you also wont have any algea problems anymore. It's really expensive, but hopefully worth it. My hippo is now COVERED in ich. She is in my qt,. I treated with copper. She's so covered in it, it looks horable, BUT she eats still like a champ, so thats a good sign.

E

exile415

I'd say if you had the big enouhg tank, and all your fish look healthy. It should be fine as long as you acclimate correctly,turn off lights and etc. All these little things help, because they get sick so easily.If you quarantine the fish for a month and if he looks fine, that'd be even better.

scubadoo

Blue Hippos like many other tangs have smooth velvet-like "skin" which allows parasites to easily attach. IMO...the weak immune system or easily stressed is a myth as long as the animals are placed in appropriate sized mature systems.
The UV effectiveness regarding ich is also a myth. Most standard aquarium uv's are ineffective based on exposure time and flow rates. At best, the window of their effectiveness is VERY small and closes quickly. They do marginally improve water quality. Money is better spent on high quailty protein skimmers and approriate pounds of live rock for your system size. 1-1.5 pounds per gallon.
Your best approach is to carefully select your animals and employ a good QT practice. Mainttain water parameters within acceptable limits and provide planty water movement. Feed an appropriate diet for the speciaes and supplemnt with vitamins and gralic soaked food.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by corally
Is it true that UV sterilizers also kill good bacteria? I thought I read this somewhere before.
Yes, they are effective against many benefical critters...and not effective or have very little effect against the bad guys.