How should you arrange live rock?

flight

I have a 20gallon tank and i am thinking going reef i have everything i need but i don't know how i should set up the live rock before i start to add reef/coral frags.
any ideas?

reefrobert

I read in a book that you should stack it from front to the back and water should be able to pass through it. It my 20 gal long. I order 20 pounds and got 3 big rocks, used two as a base, then stacked the third on top of the two, to make a cave. Ordered 12 more lbs and used these on the two sides of the tank to make more caves, plus a place in the back to get away from people if stressed. you don't want a brick wall type of stacking.
That just want I know, anyone esle?

tank watch

whatever looks pretty. I would try for small pieces in a 20gal. see photo of mine. its just kinda natural looking (I hope).

bonebrake

Fit the rocks together loosely so that plently of water flow passing between them, but stable enough so one does not tip and roll down the mountain and crack your tank in the middle of the night when a hermit crab crawls on it.
:joy:

dmjordan

Place the bottom layer of rocks directly on the bottom of your tank. This helps keep you from having a avalanche by something burrowing in the substrate under your rocks like a nass snail. After you gat the base down you can add your LS. This will also give you a deeper sandbed with whatever amount of LS you already have. Post some tank shots when your done.

nm reef

I consider it to be a personal preference...whatever looks good to you. But...insure that there is plenty of room for critters and fish to move thru the structure and insure the circulation will prevent dead spots.

lionfish1

Originally Posted by chadman
that is 40lbs?!?!?! looks more like 140lbs...haha
LOL the picture is decieving it's only a 20g tank