How soon can I do another water change?

alison

Hi, I had a starfish die in my fish only, and I didn't know it, until I looked for it yesterday, and saw the skeleton. When I tested the water yesterday, my nitrates were high. So I did a 10 gal water change in my 55 gal. That's around a 20% water change. So I did that last night. Now, how soon can I do another 20% water change. Nitrates were down some with the water change, and I think another 20% would do it. I don't think a 10% water change would do anything. Thanks in advance, Ali:)

clarkiiclo

Every other day if you are doing 20%. That is quite a bit.
How long has your tank been running?
The only thing you have to worry about is a mini cycle - ammonia spike mostly.
Just watch your levels

alison

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think I'll play it safe, and wait a week. Oh, you asked how long the tank's been runnin. It's been runnin a little over 2 years this one. No new fish recently or any changes, so I think it was the starfish. He was pretty stinky when I pulled him out. Kinda sad. I had that starfish from my reef for 4 years. I wonder if he died from old age. Anyways, thanks again. I'm a little too worried about a mini cycle, so I'll just wait a week. Thanks again, Ali

francis

My tank is 35gal & was only 3/4 full. 3 months old now. I used natural sea water untill now & would like to add more, atleast 5 more gallons. Can i use marine salt to make an artificial ocean water? will it be healthy? or use natural sea water again? I already have 3 anemones & 1 bubble coral inside with 1 lobster & 2 yellow fin damsels. thank you!
:thinking:

clarkiiclo

It may be better in the long run to switch to an artificial salt. Just because you cant predict the changes to your local water environment.
Do it very slowly though- start with one gallon of artificial when you do your 10% water change.
Each week you could add a gallon- look for signs of distress.
Someone else may have a better plan for introducing the water but I think this would work

alison

Hi, I think thier's about 6 of us Washingtonians here now. I already sold some stuff to one guy from marysville. So what part of the state are you guys/girls from? I live in Lake Stevens, about 10 minutes from Everett, that's northwestern washington/ Snohomish county for you eastern washington people. ~Ali

lefty

I'm in Wenatchee. It's pretty neat running into fellow Washingtonians on these boards. :)
-lefty