how to attatch coral

L

lilredwuck

I bought my first coral today. Some Frogspawn. He told me to "wedge" it in a rock. That worked for a day. The rock it was on (I put a small dry rock I had onto another, both with flat bottoms) was knocked over,as well as the coral fell out. I have heard to super glue it on? I have a lot of corals already, but they came with the tank, and grew into the rock over time.

geoj

My favorite is to put it in the sand. I have tried supper glue did not like it, it makes a weak bond. Hot glue gun worked and I think reef epoxy would also.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredwuck http:///forum/thread/380681/how-to-attatch-coral#post_3313699
I bought my first coral today. Some Frogspawn. He told me to "wedge" it in a rock. That worked for a day. The rock it was on (I put a small dry rock I had onto another, both with flat bottoms) was knocked over,as well as the coral fell out. I have heard to super glue it on? I have a lot of corals already, but they came with the tank, and grew into the rock over time.
I have my frogspawns wedged in rocks in different areas throughout my reefs. Sometimes it takes a little time to find the right spot. They do make a coral crazy glue, but I would recommend trying to find a good spot for it, rather than gluing it. I've had frogspawns for years, and none of them have ever attached to the rocks.

flower

Once I find the spot the coral is happy at...I use crazy glue GEL. Really glob it on and hold it in place for 30 seconds...it will go nowhere and stay put.

L

lilredwuck

I had to rip out a TON of Kenya Trees to make room for it, so there is really only 1 spot it can go. Just keeping it there is what I need to do. I don't have any crazy clue right now, but I do have the expoxy clay looking stuff for attatching rocks to each other. I don't have sand either. It's all crushed coral.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredwuck http:///forum/thread/380681/how-to-attatch-coral#post_3313721
I had to rip out a TON of Kenya Trees to make room for it, so there is really only 1 spot it can go. Just keeping it there is what I need to do. I don't have any crazy clue right now, but I do have the expoxy clay looking stuff for attatching rocks to each other. I don't have sand either. It's all crushed coral.
That epoxy might work for the frogspawn (if the stalk is big enough), it just doesn't work for soft corals such as zoanthids.

geoj

Yep, just get the epoxy into some cracks and shape it so it grabs the rock and coral.

L

lilredwuck

Just finished cleaning a little while I was in there and had set it back up, only for it to fall over 5 minutes later. Haven't epoxied it yet, didn't want to go digging for it. I'll wait till morning and get some superglue, or epoxy it tomorrow. Sgt. Wife says it's lights out time. It had just opened again today. I'll try to get a picture for you all.

bulldog123

I liked to find a hole the stalk will fit in and than putty it in there. I always try to keep it removable for what ever reason. Frogspawn grows good and can really reach out and touch something.

btldreef

I am also a fan of just trying to find the right spot for corals so that if I ever need to move it, I can.

In this case, if it's the only place it can go, than that has to be it.

Don't let it keep it falling, that can really do some damage and could kill it. If it keeps falling and this is the only spot for it, you're going to have to epoxy/glue it in.

L

lilredwuck

tank before hand when I bought it

Tank about a month ago.

This is what it looks like now.

monsinour

you need to set the date on your camera.

And

What is that nifty neon green animal in the 3rd shot? How did you get it to stay still and get so elongated?

Seriously though, cool tank.

btldreef

Nice tank.
Kill the aiptasia!
I defnitely suggest learning how to frag Kenya Tree Coral and trading it with your LFS for some credit. They grow like weeds. I finally got fid of the last of mine because I hated having to cut it back all the time.

L

lilredwuck

Yes, I need to set the date on the camera, but both batteries I have are dead, and I am a quick camera user. The nifty green animal is a bristleworm trap, and yes I need to kill the aiptasia. Went to get some juice, and the LFS didn't sell it, so I ended up buying the frogspawn. So I ordered it online. None of the LFS around here take anything for cash or credit. When I was moving the rocks around and picking bristleworms out with 12 foot long tweezers, there is quite a few aiptasia in there in some hidden spots. I have peppermint shrimp in there for the smaller ones, but from the looks of everyones tanks even the LFS have them everywhere.