How to begin saltwater tank for fish

newbie627

Am trying to find out how to set up a tank that has been given to
me. Any body that has the very basic info
or a book to read would be appreciated.My tank is 55 gallon
with a regent tank top dual filter.

jp0379

"Saltwater Fish for Dummies", believe it or not, which is available from most bookstores, is a great source of info for someone just starting out. I'd suggest this book over any other. Check it out!

cprdnick

I would personally recommend a daily visit to this message board, even if you're not asking any questions. I learned quite a bit in a week from just reading everyone elses posts.

rbmount

Welcome to the board!!! As stated above, the main things to learn is patience, I have learned a lot from these folks at this board, and if I ask a question, I pay attention to the answers I get.

doodle1800

I would decide on how much you want to spend on this hobby ($$) and how much time you can put in. Both are important. Good advice to read the posts on this web site and try to learn as much as possible first. Ask tons of questions, and get a good book. Go to amazon.com and look at their selection of saltwater books, order one and read. I have one called Reef Secrets, by Nilsen and Fossa. Very good for beginners and advanced aquarists.
Welcome to the board!
And don't be afraid to order LR (live rock) from SWF.com - $109 will give you a good start on your setup.

yeah...local LFS....cmon, they tried to put my live rock in a regular plastic bag w/o water...as far as i know, marine life macro or micro needs water (unless they are endosporic which i don't know if they are or not)

Take it from me lol i am just about to cycle my first tank. A daily visit here is a def good idea. Also the best book to get is "the idiots guide to salt water aquariums"by mike wickham , i foud that the "for dummies" one had to much info to sift through for beginers. But its a def good book wen i was finished readfing i emailed the wuthor(his emails in the book) and he responded he was very helpful to me. But take it from a fellow newb.

i'm fairly new too...only 3 weeks into this hobby. I have a friend who works at this site so he helps me, but when i can't get him...i just search the net and read the posts here and i've done pretty well so far.

doodle1800

In defense of LFS's advice - some are good, but you won't know which ones are until you've gained enough experience.