how to break rocks aprat

fuerte91

Well, I;m downsizing my tank, and i want to break some rocks that have coral attached to them. How do you guys do it, or any other advice?
Thanks

melypr1985

I've never done it personally, but I've heard people say to use a screwdriver and a hammer and just tap tap tap until it breaks off. I've also seen a guy cut a mushroom off of a rock with a pair of dikes. he just worked at it until the piece of rock popped off with the mushroom on it.

loopy101

since your mainly breaking away the corals i would use a hammer and a flat head screwdriver or chissel. if your just making large rocks smaller a hammer works just fine for that.

drtito

I asked this too the answer that worked was.....
" drill a few 1/4 inch holes in and around the rock and coral then use a chesel & hammer to break it futher "
It worked for me, try to get the coral to contract fully before you start.

lietz06

do you have to use the hammer and chisel under the water? Or is it okay to have the coral out of the water for 2 or 3 minutes to get the rock broke?

dragonzim

Originally Posted by lietz06
http:///forum/post/3127709
do you have to use the hammer and chisel under the water? Or is it okay to have the coral out of the water for 2 or 3 minutes to get the rock broke?
I would ABSOLUTELY do this out of the water! You dont want to take a chance of accidentally breaking your tank!

Most corals should be fine out of the water for a few minutes.