How to calculate bioload?

humuhumu1

Is there any way to do this. How does a snowflake eel compare in bioload terms compared to a trigger or tang. How much impact does an eel have on how many fish you can have.

joe____17

Eels can get pretty big, i always try to get as less fish as possible to avoid alot of ammonia and avoid overfeeding or else you might have problems.

snakeblitz33

There's no real way to calculate what the perfect bioload is. A snowflake eel can get up to 3 to 3 1/2 feet! Tangs poop a lot!!!
If I didn't know how much to put in a tank before reaching it's limit, I would have a very light bioload. You should only add one fish at a time until you "feel" that your tank has reached it's limit.
Don't know exactly how to describe it because the rule of 1" of fish per 10g no longer exists... (because of the breakthroughs of filtration)

small triggers

the best idea is after adding a fish make sure to do all your tests say exactly a week after adding each fish, when the nitrates and nitrites go up,, that would be your stoping point (though some of us always have a few, im always at about 40ppm for my fish only tank) Just keep checking, and keep in mind each fish is different.

snakeblitz33

Nitrite should never go up. Nitrites can kill fish.
If your nitrate reaches over 30ppm in a fish only tank every month, I would consider lightening the bioload.