how to catch an eel?

hoodlum99

I'm converting my fish only tank to a reef tank and the snowflake eel is the last not reef safe fish i have. I can't seem to catch the guy though and i dont want to have to take all of my live rock out just to catch him. I've tried cutting a 2 litre bottle neck off, then turning it inside out and baiting it for a trap, but he just sticks his head in and gets the food and backs out of the bottle again. any advice???

you could try some clear rigid tubing the lenght of his body into a two litre, or something that would make him put his whole body in. what is the length of your eel.

reefforbrains

bigger bottle? or something that he has to pull on. like rubber band the bait to a small rock, he will have to curl up to get some leverage to pull it off the rock.

hoodlum99

Originally Posted by floatingfish
you could try some clear rigid tubing the lenght of his body into a two litre, or something that would make him put his whole body in. what is the length of your eel.
He's about a foot long i believe, i've only seen him come all the way out once and man he's grown since i bought him. I'll try the bait rubber banded to a rock inside the bottle, that sounds like a good one. thanks.

24aqua

shrimp or silverside your eel will smell it you can tie a string around it like your going fishing and lure him into the net