How to Catch Sharks

krj-1168

I've recent be come interested in this.
And I've heard that Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine
did an article on this back in their Nov. 2003 issue.
Does anyone know were I may get a copy(used or new).
Or give me some information about how it can be done (ie bait, tackle, rod or nets).

sebae09

thats a hard topic to talk about not many people will tell you even if they know because it is realy realy hard to do. but i will send you what i know this afternoon. as for getting the magazine you can probbly backorder from the website.

krj-1168

I realize that is a hard topic top discuss.
Catching sharks off piers or the beach isn't too hard - in fact it's usually done daily during the summer months, on the carolina coast.
But the problem is that these are often sub-adults or adults. Although I've seen a blacktip pup caught off Atlantic Beach. But the truth is this way highly stresses the pups - to the point were death is highly possible.
I've heard that to catch pups - the beach or a pier isn't the ideal locations. Also the hooks need to be smaller.

sebae09

you never want to catch them from the peir because they dont have bones to hold there body together so they elongate while being hung from the mouth on the way up this causes distortion and they wont swim untill they snap out of it and with requiem sharks they cant breath without swiming so they will die from lack of oxygen. allways catch from the beach or boat and allways net they before you pull them out of water so you can support their whole body. normally you will get smaller pups right after breeding season(late spring) and use a small hook

krj-1168

I was wondering if the estuaries or sounds would be a good place to look for shark pups.
I've heard that these areas are possible nursing grounds for Atlantic Sharpnose, Bonnetheads, & Blacktips.
By the way the net idea makes perfect sense.
I've seen several possible holding containers for transporting small sharks - including some that are about 3 ft wide & 5-6ft long.
But I still haven't had any luck with the magazine, yet.

sebae09

ive never tried the estuary's but its worth a try
Its best to use a circular or oval container to bring them home

krj-1168

Okay, I have a few more questions - sebae.
What is the largest size of sharks, that you have kept in the holding tank ?
Also about how long do you keep the sharks in there ?
And how many do you keep in there at 1 time ?

sebae09

the sharks i catch dont stay in the holding tank untill its time to go home, i keep them in a blowup baby pool that is like 12x6 so they can swim and get used to being confined to a tank i personaly think my holding tank is to small and im planning on haveing a bigger one soon i will post a pic i got of the Enet of the baby pool. the largeist shark i have brought home was a 2.5 foot nurse and depending on the sharks you decide to bring home makes the # of sharks that you can keep in the tank on the way home, for example i had the big nurse in the tank and 2 blacktips when i got home 1 of the blacktips had been eaten by the nurse.

mattiej

Just a word of caution but when catching your own, be very sure of the regs on the sharks. Black tips are required to be atleast 54 inches fork, and depending on which state, bonnets are the same. Sharpnoses, if I am correct, do not have a minimum size but you are only allowed two per day. Regardless of what you want it is very wise to follow the rules as a good day collecting can be ruined with a visit from the man.

mistergn10

Originally Posted by mattiej
Just a word of caution but when catching your own, be very sure of the regs on the sharks. Black tips are required to be atleast 54 inches fork, and depending on which state, bonnets are the same. Sharpnoses, if I am correct, do not have a minimum size but you are only allowed two per day. Regardless of what you want it is very wise to follow the rules as a good day collecting can be ruined with a visit from the man.
I am pretty sure the limit of 2 per day is only on a boat. Surf fishing there is not limits on Sharpnose

krj-1168

Actually mattiej - it makes prefect sense to double check the state regs on shark fishing. I understand the reasoning for limiting the Blacktips to 54 inches in fork length(to protect the species population). But for Bonnetheads that length isn't reached(the species averages about 54 inches total length).
I am pretty sure the limit of 2 per day is only on a boat. Surf fishing there is not limits on Sharpnose.
Which why we need to check the regs on shark fishing from the shore. Actually I don't believe there are limits on Blacktips, Bonnetheads, or Sharpnose caught from the shore.