how to change tanks

heidijj

I have a 120 gallon salt water/ coral tank, I am looking at a new 240 gallon, How hard is it to swap everything over to the new tank? Is there anything I need to know before I start?

mr. limpid

I personal would buy new sand, moving sand is very messy for your tank and it will have a cycle happen afterwords. Moving rock is no problem. Is the new tank going in a different spot?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidijj http:///t/394855/how-to-change-tanks#post_3514675
it will be in the same spot, so I need to move the old one out and the new one in.
I did that when I changed from a 55g to a 75g. I also moved my 75g and changed it to a 90g when I moved.The following is my method...#1 make sure you have enough saltwater mixed and ready.
If the sand has been in the tank and not stirred up, there could be toxins trapped deep in the under layers of the sand. It's just like moving a tank across town...put the rock in a tub with a power head, put the fish in buckets with an air line (no stone) and a heater. Set the new tank up, IF the sand has been sitting a long time, rinse it in the old saltwater before it's transferred to the new tank (rock goes in first).
Once the rock and sand are in, wait for everything to settle and turn on the filters and the pumps. Test the waters parameters and SG, to be sure it matches (temps as well). Then acclimate one fish or even better a shrimp...and watch it to make sure it is okay for a few hours. If the critter shows any signs of stress remove it, and put it back into the bucket...if it's okay, then acclimate each fish to their new tank, until all the critters are in the happy new home.
You won't have any cycle issues, the good bacteria is on the rock and sand, not in the water. If you replace the sand, you may create an imbalance because you will be tossing out a the good bacteria. Don't change out any filter material either for the same reason. Swapping tanks is NOT a good time to do a major cleaning...you want as much of the good established bacteria as you can manage to keep.