How to clean a used tank ?

emusinky

I recently bought a used 29 g tank to make a sump. It was previously used as a snake tank. What would be the best way to clean it?

dragonzim

Definitely take it outside and fill it with the hose just to make sure it holds water. If that checks out you can make a solution of white vinegar and water that you can either soak the tank with or scrub it really well with.

emusinky

I already filled it two days ago to check for leaks. Looks good!!
Also wondered if there were any reptile meds that might be dangerous to fish and corals. Thanks for the replies!

flower

Originally Posted by EmusinKY
http:///forum/post/3103102
I already filled it two days ago to check for leaks. Looks good!!
Also wondered if there were any reptile meds that might be dangerous to fish and corals. Thanks for the replies!

This is a good question...I would pour some bleach in it and let it sit for a day and then rinse the tank really well, like lay it on the side and just rinse and rinse..then put chlorinator in the water for good measure..wait a day let it sit in the air, then use the tank.
Nothing harmful could live through that.

gypsana

Adding bleach is just adding more issues. I would go with the vinegar/water solution and let it sit in the sun for a few days adding more vinegar/water as needed. Snakes are not soaked in medications, I would be more concerned on what the previous owners used to clean the tank.

flower

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/3103165
Adding bleach is just adding more issues. I would go with the vinegar/water solution and let it sit in the sun for a few days adding more vinegar/water as needed. Snakes are not soaked in medications, I would be more concerned on what the previous owners used to clean the tank.

Bleach breaks down fast..vinegar stinks forever. Disease on reptiles and their waste IMO could cause a problem in a fish tank. Bleach is the very first stage of filtration for your drinking water, which passes through stages of filters to become your RO water. It is safe to purify the tank as long as it is rinsed...the rest I added as overkill, just to be sure.
I have been cleaning tanks for 34 years and never lost a critter to chlorine.

gypsana

Vinegar stinks but it not dangerous. I stay from bleach 90% of the time even around the house. JMO

teresaq

I too would bleach it. I use bleach on my seahorse fry tanks and brine shrimp hatcheries. As long as it is rinsed good, declorinated and air dried it is fine.
Bleach will kill the germs, vinegar wont.

emusinky

Interesting debate I started. I agree with both. Vinegar being natural/organic vs. chlorine-chemical. I have plenty of both.
I also hate using bleach around the house. That's why I have a full gallon. But, we do have it coming in with our tap water.
The tank was still full of snake stuff when I got it so it hasn't been cleaned with anything recently. I'm sure lots of water and sunlight is a good plan. I'll wait until tomorrow to decide what else to use. Thanks for all the ideas!

N

nihoa

drinking too much ro/di water isnt much better for you. being pure water it has no nutrition in it and long term use can result in kidney failure among other things. adding pure water to your body can actually leach nutrients from you. and your teeth can suffer due to lack of floride found in tapwater. when im in the field we use ro/di for 6 month stints and we are very careful that we are getting the proper nutrition elsewhere and add tons of electrolytes to the water.
http:///forum/post/3103288
That is why I drink RODI water.

gypsana

Originally Posted by Nihoa
http:///forum/post/3103716
drinking too much ro/di water isnt much better for you. being pure water it has no nutrition in it and long term use can result in kidney failure among other things. adding pure water to your body can actually leach nutrients from you. and your teeth can suffer due to lack of floride found in tapwater. when im in the field we use ro/di for 6 month stints and we are very careful that we are getting the proper nutrition elsewhere and add tons of electrolytes to the water.
I actually did quiet a bit of research and these claims are unfounded. They are a theory as of now. BTW fluoride makes me sick and others, major stomach problems.

flower

http:///forum/post/3103961
I actually did quiet a bit of research and these claims are unfounded. They are a theory as of now. BTW fluoride makes me sick and others, major stomach problems.

I was under the same thinking as Nihoa...but everyone is different, some people can't drink milk for example.
What I have found is that people who are careful about the water they drink are also the kind of people who are careful about their health in general. So they make sure they take care of themselves and get the right nutrition from a proper diet. It was nice of Nihoa to care.

gypsana

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3103967

I was under the same thinking as Nihoa...but everyone is different, some people can't drink milk for example.
What I have found is that people who are careful about the water they drink are also the kind of people who are careful about their health in general. So they make sure they take care of themselves and get the right nutrition from a proper diet. It was nice of Nihoa to care.
Definitely

N

nihoa

i got quite ill from drinking rodi water for months on end on a bird colony very far from medical help. my bladder near exploded and i had to be medivaced off the island. doctors in honolulu attributed it to the ro water saying that quite simply if you create a gradient between water in your body full of solvents and water you injest that has no solvents you are going to have movement from saturated liquid to empty liquid.
they very well may have diagnosed the problem incorrectly but i do know that most research stations that rely on ro to create their own water from the ocean supplement it with electrolytes and minerals as do a lot of vessels on long stints. the last research vessel i was on didnt drink their ro water at all and have instead opted to take on vitawater and crap like that.

gypsana

Originally Posted by Nihoa
http:///forum/post/3104002
i got quite ill from drinking rodi water for months on end on a bird colony very far from medical help. my bladder near exploded and i had to be medivaced off the island. doctors in honolulu attributed it to the ro water saying that quite simply if you create a gradient between water in your body full of solvents and water you injest that has no solvents you are going to have movement from saturated liquid to empty liquid.
they very well may have diagnosed the problem incorrectly but i do know that most research stations that rely on ro to create their own water from the ocean supplement it with electrolytes and minerals as do a lot of vessels on long stints. the last research vessel i was on didnt drink their ro water at all and have instead opted to take on vitawater and crap like that.
I do know that if you do not change the filters regularly bacteria can cause problems. I have been drinking it for years and I have not had any problems. I am diabetic and I have blood panels ran all the time for my organs and nothing has ever been out of the ordinary. The only draw back to drinking RODI water is the lack of minerals that your body needs but if you eat a healthy diet and consume other beverages you should get enough from that alone. With all the chemicals people put in their body (artificial sweeteners, MSG, high fructose corn syrup to name a few) the last thing they should worry about is pure water. Nutra sweet alone can cause severe health issues and people guzzle that stuff all day log.
BTW sorry for hijacking your post!