how to clean hair algea

kk

I think i figured out that my tank is growing lots of greenish,brownish hair algea.Its all over the crushed coral bottom, and started taking over the live rock that i have. How do I get rid of it?

hondo

don't buy a tang to solve this problem. Answer some questions first. how long has your tank been set up? What are the water parameters (nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, PH, ALK, ect). If your set up is new then this is normal for a tank finishing it's cycle. What kind/size of clean up crew do you have( snails, hermits). If your set up is new and it appears to be then one major suggestion would be to remove the CC and replace it with a deep sand bed about 4" deep. It will be easier to do it now and the tank will look better and the DSB will reduce nitrates which cause unwanted algea growth.

kk

thanks, I think i have the tests covered I am getting a little bit of amonia and working on getting the calcium higher. how fast can i raise calcium and how often can i change the water for the ammonia problem?

kk

Thanks Hondo, the tank has been running since september,started out for fish only,everything perfect till one of my kids decided to feed them one day. Had to dump everything and start over, one damsel and rock survived (I think).The rock started growing tube worms on 40 watts of light. the lfs advised stronger light,so im up to 130 watts, added two polyps now everything appears to be dying except the algea. oh tank did cycle second time also.

broomer5

Limit the nutrients that allow algae to grow.
You need to keep your Nitrate levels below 10 mg/L and Phosphates low as well.
Hermits, snails and cleanup crew's will help, but you gotta limit the stuff that algae feeds on,
Nitrates and Phosphates
Hondo said it best - do not add a Tang to control algae.
Don't try and raise anything "fast" in a marine tank - especially calciim.
If you're getting a reading on ammonia - you're either not done cycling, or you have too many fish for your biofilter.
More info ?

kk

this is real stupid , but what screen do i hang out at to read my replies faster I seem to have to keep going back and forth from the message board to my posted topic to see replies.

kk

Thanks broomer. I only have one small damsel,two small polyps, one piece of live rock about 2 or 3 months old and one about 3 weeks old. Does live rock need to cycle? also having trouble finding a test kit for phosphates.

IF YOU EVER GET A CHANCE, THERE IS A NICE REEF STORE IN WESTFEILD CALLED UNDERWATER WORLD. THIS GUY ALMOST ALWAYS HAS THE BEST CORAL I HAVE EVER SEEN(BESIDES MY TANKS)AND CAN GIVE SOME GOOD ADVICE. ONE THING THOUGH, DON'T TOUCH HIS TANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MIGHT WIND UP IN A DUMPSTER IN NEWARK SOMWHERE!!!!

jim672

I've lived with this problem. Control phosphates first to prevent additional growth. I took pieces of my lr out and in a bucket of sw used and old, soft tootbrush to brush off all the hair algea. That was alot faster than allowing inverts to eat it.

I LIVE IN SEWAREN, IT'S A SMALL SECTION OF WOODBRIDGE. IF YOU'RE EVER UP THIS WAY, LET ME TELL YOU ONE THING, NEVER EVER SHOP AT ANIMALS AND THINGS!!! THAT PLACE IS THE DESTROYER OF REEFS, AND OTHER ANIMALS TOO.

kk

lordofthereef Ive got the same problem here, there is one local lfs that handles sw and reefs,I could ask four people the same question and get four different answers.

kris walker

A comb or good brush works well, especially with a hair dryer. Just wear rubber boots when you use the dryer though. :)
sam

MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY THIS PLACE CALLED TROPAQUARIUM, IT'S OVER ON 35 OR 36(CAN'T REMEMBER)BUT IT'S 105 ON THE PARKWAY. ANYWAY, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. ASK FOR ROBIN, SHE KNOWS HER STUFF.