how to connect return pipe to pump?

tj28

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2576169
Your return has a 1 1/4" PVC fitting on the end. You need:
  • 1/2" threaded female coupling (also called a 1/2 Inch Slip x FPT Adaptor) One side is smooth, the other side is threaded to fit onto your pump.
  • 1/2" diameter pvc pipe (small piece)
  • 1 1/4" to 1/2" slip adapter
  • 1 1/4" pvc pipe (small piece)
  • Liquid PVC cleaner
  • Liquid PVC cement
  • Teflon pipe tape
  • saw
[list type=decimal]Cut your 1 1/4" PVC pipe to about a 4" length. Clean both outside ends of the PVC pipe and the inside of your return line with the PVC cleaner. Press the pipe into your return line but do not glue it yet. You need to test fit all your pieces first.
Next, clean the insides of the 1 1/4" to 1/2" adapter with PVC cleaner.
Press the adapter onto the 1 1/4" pipe
Cut a 4" length of 1/2" diameter pvc pipe and clean the outsides with PVC cleaner
Press the 1/2" pvc pipe into your adapter fitting.
Clean the inside of your 1/2" threaded female coupling. You don't need to clean the threads, just the smooth mating surface.
Wrap teflon pipe tape around the threaded end of your pump. Looking down at the threads, wrap the tape clockwise. Go maybe 3 times around the threads. It doesn't need much. This will form a watertight seal.
S crew the adapter onto pump and then press the 1/2" pvc pipe and the adapter together
[/list type=decimal]Now everything should be hooked up. If it all fits properly then you can glue it all together. Take each piece apart except for the threaded adapter attached to your pump. Start from the top and work your way down. Smear an even amount of glue onto the inside of the 1 1/4" return line and the outside of your 1 1/4" pipe. Once both are coated, press them together and give them a slight twist. Go down the line and do the same with the rest of your parts. Put glue on both pieces you are gluing together. It doesn't take much, but be sure to coat each piece evenly.
Let everything dry for about an hour after ytou get it all glued together.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that info. I'm still slightly confused starting with step 1, what is the 1 1/4" piece? What is it used for? Are you possibly talking about the hoses on the overflow box? If so, I'm not using the hose as a return line. Should'nt my return line be 1/2"? I understand steps 4 - 8, I can't figure out step 1 though. Sorry for the confusion.

sly

Originally Posted by tj28
http:///forum/post/2576218
Thanks, the picture helps alot but I still dont get the 1 1/4' and shouldnt I have a ball valve to control the flow?
Why do you think you need a ball valve to control the flow? That pump is only rated at 700 gph max. Under real world use it will be more like 500-550 gph which is well within the 600 gph that your filter is rated for.
The information I posted is assuming that you will be using the 1 1/4" return lines that your filter comes with. If you are not wanting to use then return lines then what are you planning on using? There are literally thousands of ways you can hook up plumbing. I can't possibly list them all. Step 1 involves cutting a 1 1/4" pipe that I listed as something you needed to buy in the materials list. This pipe will fit into your return lines.
I edited the instructions. Please reread it and see if that makes better sense.
I think you think I mean 1- quarter inch piece. No. It's a one and one quarter inch piece. Your filter is listed as having one and one quarter inch diameter pipe.
If you don't want to use the existing lines that came with your filter then you will have to buy PVC lines that will go down to your filter system. You will need 1.25" pvc lines and enough 90 degree and 45 degree elbows to get it to line up accordingly. However you stated that you are not a plumbing expert... so I would just recommend using the existing lines unless you can get someone to help you piece together new return lines out of pvc.

tj28

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2576208

Originally Posted by Sly

http:///forum/post/2576273
Why do you think you need a ball valve to control the flow? That pump is only rated at 700 gph max. Under real world use it will be more like 500-550 gph which is well within the 600 gph that your filter is rated for.
The information I posted is assuming that you will be using the 1 1/4" return lines that your filter comes with. If you are not wanting to use then return lines then what are you planning on using? There are literally thousands of ways you can hook up plumbing. I can't possibly list them all. Step 1 involves cutting a 1 1/4" pipe that I listed as something you needed to buy in the materials list. This pipe will fit into your return lines.
I edited the instructions. Please reread it and see if that makes better sense.
I think you think I mean 1- quarter inch piece. No. It's a one and one quarter inch piece. Your filter is listed as having one and one quarter inch diameter pipe.
If you don't want to use the existing lines that came with your filter then you will have to buy PVC lines that will go down to your filter system. You will need 1.25" pvc lines and enough 90 degree and 45 degree elbows to get it to line up accordingly. However you stated that you are not a plumbing expert... so I would just recommend using the existing lines unless you can get someone to help you piece together new return lines out of pvc.
Ok, i'm not as confused now, I think I figured out are miscommunication. When you say filter I assume you mean overflow box? The overflow came with 2 flex hoses used for drain lines. There are 2 drain lines on the overflow box that your supposed to connect to your sump. I dont have a tidepool sump, just a tidepool overflow box, I built my own sump out of a 29 g long glass tank.That is why I was confused on the 1 1/4 cause I have no return lines, just drain lines.