how to cure lr

reefermon

I just got about 20 pounds of lr from a buddy. He said the rock was been out of his water for 4 days. The lr rock smells like rotton eggs. i have a 150 galloon with 175 lbs of lr. Can i just add the new lr or do i have to cure it? If i have to cure it how do i do that to rid the rock of un wanted hitchers

sergeant

If you can get some empty buckets and power heads, put the rocks in them fill them up with water from your tank and aim the power heads to hit the rocks direct. Give it a few days and do a water change. Eventually the smell will go away. Then you could put them in your tank. Otherwise is going to spike your chemicals and kill a few things in your tank. Good Luck.

sepulatian

Give it a few days and do a water change. Eventually the smell will go away. Then you could put them in your tank.
I do not agree with this. You should most certainly re-cure it. Put the rocks into a tub of saltwater with a powerhead and filter. Monitor the ammonia. If it reaches over 1ppm start doing water changes. When the ammonia reaches zero (by itself and stays there) then the rock are cured and can go into the display.