how to cut egg crate?

mbrands

Anyone who has egg crate instead of an open top tank, what is the best way to cut it? I looked at a sheet at Home Depot, but it looks like that thin plastic would snap pretty easily.

jobob

tin snips, yea it kinda breaks instead of cuttin. but only breaks that square. so it works!

mudplayerx

Files work great for cutting thin plastic, but it take a longer time. They also have the saws that look like the blade is made of very fine sand superglued onto the edge of it....those work as well.

boomper

I found mine in the very back next to the ceiling tiles. I also used a small saw to cut it. You dont have to cut all the way through, you can snap it once you have it a little more than half way.

kdfrosty

I used a dremel to cut mine. worked like charm. It was a sheet of eggcrate that was 2'x4', and was found by painting supplies at my Home Depot. cost was $5.50

mbrands

Funny that Home Depot would keep the egg crate in so many different sections depending on where you are in the US. Mine also keep it in the lighting section. Its one aisle down from the ceiling fans where all the recessed lighting and florescent (sp?) type of fixtures are.
Thanks for the additional cutting ideas everyone! :D

gfk

what could i use to stop my water from evaporating so fast? get some plastic cut to fit in the top? glass? i dont really want to add water to it every couple days it seems to be goin fast

mbrands

Originally posted by gfk
what could i use to stop my water from evaporating so fast? get some plastic cut to fit in the top? glass? i dont really want to add water to it every couple days it seems to be goin fast

I don't think there is much you can do. Covering the top of the tank will likely increase the tank temperature and definitely slow the oxygen exchange process for your tank water. Both bad things, obviously.

mudplayerx

Having to add water every day is a good thing actually, It allows trace elements to be put back into the tank.
If you have a glass canopy, I recommend that you keep at least a portion of the tank uncovered for gas exchange and heat dissapation.