how to determine if overstocked

hugo

I have a 25 gallon with one piece of decorative coral. How many fish can I stock? I plan on stocking with small fish. The smallest I can find. Right now I 2 domino damsels and one of them is tiny. I call him Pigmy. The other two fish are blue damsels and they're small as well. If I buy a small clown percula would that be alright?

guppie

I agree with tonga, get the domino out of that tank befor you add any more fish, they are some of the meanest sob out there. Good Luck

hugo

As a newbie I am unsure of what to do with unwanted fish like my domino damsels. Will fish stores take them back? How does this work? Will they give me any $ for them?

tangman99

Depends on the store. Most the time you end up donating damsels back to the store. I had a Domino that I gladly gave to my lfs for free. I do feel sorry for anyone that may have bought him as he was a great white in a little tiny body. Kind of reminds me of my miniature schnauzers (Great Dane trapped in a small dog.) He never killed anything, but was always tormenting everything in the tank.

hugo

I am not planning on throwing a percula to the wolves (Domino Damsels) but I thought size matters in this. So if the percula is twice the size of the domino will the damsel still kill it? My enquiring mind wants to know...

tangman99

Fish (especially damsels) don't really have the good sense to know that they should leave bigger fish alone. You and I probably would not walk up and slap Hulk Hogan across the face due to the instantaneous and severe a$$ whipping that would immediately follow. Damsels, well they think they are Hulk Hogan.
I'm not sure your damsel would kill anything. It's a chance you take but sooner or later, he is probably going to be a pain. I have a blue devil damsel that I've had for a year and he never bothers anything (yet).

rikki

damNsels R very mean...
use clowns to cycle...alittle more expensive but worth not having to hassle with 2 little SOBs in the long run....they pick on everything including CLEANUpCREW.get em out now before its too late.....mine killed my dragon wrasse and picked on my lionfish and cowfish even though they were both 5 tmes their size.when i walked in and saw the bigger damsel biting at my cowfises poor horn i blew my lid....get em out i cant stress this enough

nm reef

myself.....I removed my damn domino damsel and his side kick the evil blue damn damsel.....put 'em in a 29 gal by themselves.....sort of like a retirement home for the cycle friends of the nmreef......or prision.....however ya wanna look at it
either way I do not have them with any other stock except for 1 scarlet hermit and 2 astro snails........