how to fix a leaky tank

ufo8micats

While in the process of moving, my tank started leaking around the corner trim. I didn't notice any hairline cracks around the bottom. can anyone give me a step by step instructions on how to fix this and best sealant to use.
thanks this is a 46 corner tank

acrylic51

The best way to repair the silicone joint is to remove it completely and resilicone the entire panel.

rotarygeek

Believe me, its a pita. Dont take apart the trim at all, its structural for the tank. If you happen to put it together wrong or weaker than origional then it could fail and you could end up with a couple chopped up fingers like me. The way i would go about doing this is fill the tank up till you start to see a leak. Use a dry towel to clean it and make sure you know where the leak is. Then drain the tank and let it dry. After it is dry, use a razorblade to scrape out ALL of the silicone for about a half foot in each direction. Use aquarium sealant from wal-mart or any lfs and put a nice bead all in the crack. Then Go over it with a corner squeegy thing to push the silicone into the crack. Clean up any mess with alcohal prep pads. If the leak is on the bottom, go ahead and flip the tank over and put a bead around the outside of the tank too. If you do it right you shouldnt have to remove the trim and you will be leak free. hope that helps you some. Oh yeah make sure you let the silicone set for 48 hours or till you cant smell it any more. It has a really strong smell to it, so you will know when it is ready.

grim_reefer

like said above, but i have found with the many tanks i have resealed that it is much easier to use a plastic spoon to "push" the silicone sealant into the corners.. it also gives that "fresh from factory" look, and you wont even be able to tell it wasnt from the factory! (unless you are sloppy with the silicone lol).. run a nice bead all the way around the tank.. then run by it with the spoon.. leaves a great seal and professional look!

acrylic51

You hit on the key word....."if done right".....might and might not seal that way.....Removing the bottom seal isn't hard, but time consuming......but can be done without destroying the trim........