how to get Coraline?

V

veeraj87

I have seen some great pictures of many tanks lately, and ive noticed the beautiful purple stuff on the glass and the rocks, to find that this is Coraline, my question is how can i introduce this type of algae to my tank? I WANT SOME!!

alix2.0

get a nice chunk of live rock with coralline growing on it, and you will have it growing everywhere in no time.

perfectdark

Also make sure your calcium level is in the 400 to 450 ppm range. And actinic lighting accelerates growth.

alix2.0

be careful with purple up! its basically a concentrated calcium supplement, and if you arent already testing the water for calcium it is very likely that you could overdose & nuke the tank.

V

veeraj87

i am 100% sure i am not going to use Purple-up no more chemicals going in my tank... its done cycling and its been lik 1 month and half now... and i want to make it stable but i do need to check the Calcium levels i have noidea what they are
but i will try that LR method

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Veeraj87
http:///forum/post/2498326
i am 100% sure i am not going to use Purple-up no more chemicals going in my tank... but i do need to check the Calcium levels i have noidea what they are
but i will try that LR method

sh2000

I don't understand why people strive for soo much purple coraline algae once you get it its spreads like a wildfire over the glass etc and there aren't alot of animals that eat it so why would you want your entire tank purple just buy a couple of large monti-encrusting corals to add some prurple to your DT some ppl imo really over do it with the pruplr coraline algae..just my opinion.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2498511
I don't understand why people strive for soo much purple coraline algae once you get it its spreads like a wildfire over the glass etc and there aren't alot of animals that eat it so why would you want your entire tank purple just buy a couple of large monti-encrusting corals to add some prurple to your DT some ppl imo really over do it with the pruplr coraline algae..just my opinion.

Besides asthetics some corals use coraline algea to grow on. Green star polyps for one.

natclanwy

not to mention it inhibits the growth of green algea and IMO purple, orange, red, and blue looks much better than green.

snakeblitz33

to get coralline algae to grow very well, maintain proper calcium levels, a dKH of about 9 and a magnesium level of 1350. It will take off if you have proper flow and adequate lighting.