how to get rid of algae on live sand

sloth54

What kind of fish/snails or crabs can i get to keep the algae off of my live sand...coraline algae is growing on my rocks and looks good, but i would prefer it not on the live sand...thanks

sloth54

hmm...im pretty sure..i am new to having live rock and live sand though. I always just assumed coralline algae was the purple algae. Is that right?

T

thomas712

Does it feel hard and encrusting, or does it blow away if you blow some water at it?

sloth54

if i move the sand around it will go away but its hard to reach in some places because of the rockwork....so i guess i probably used the wrong terminology by saying "coralline algae"....
Whats the best way to get rid of what i do have?

T

thomas712

Sounds like it could by cynobacteria or diatoms. If maroon in color it would be the cynobacteria. Do a search on both and look for pics, once identified then we could give you the proper measures to control it. Have your water specs and lighting handy because either way I'd want to know those things.
Thomas

nm reef

Sounds like cyano...not actually a algae...more like a bacteria. It can be gently removed with a syphon...insure you have good circulation and limit excess nutrients. Yours may be the result of adding LR & LS...especially if the system is still relatively new. There have been numerous posts here on cyano...I'd suggest a search using the feature above for tons of good info.