how to get rid of anenome

I have a hitchiker rock anenome on a piece of my live rock. Its a very pretty reddish pink, but sadly I dont want it. Could someone tell me how to get rid of this little guy? Can I just pluck it off or what? Let me know, thanks. Check out my nano thread if you'd like :)

perfectdark

Do you have a picture of it? How big of a piece of LR is it on? I might be interested if your willing to ship. As to how to get it to move.. not sure if you can, try placing a powerhead pointing at it.

i'll post a pic in a sec. the live rock isnt for sale though. I got the piece cause it's so awesome, its a double shelf, and I dont want to get rid of it any time soon. If I can maybe transplant the anenome onto a different piece of lr, you can have it for free

subielover

That's a good idea, to point a powerhead at it. Since you don't have any corals right now that might work perfectly.

i dont have a powerhead in my nano. its all stock with the overflow... the little power head in my tank is attached to the backwall and wont point at the anenome... :(
good idea though, i may be able to borrow a friends power head

perfectdark

Its a hawaiian anemone, not bad. but not easily kept, if you manage to free it, let me know I will definatly take it from you.

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2774764
Its a hawaiian anemone, not bad. but not easily kept, if you manage to free it, let me know I will definatly take it from you.
I think that I am just going to leave him and see if he makes it through my cycle. He's worth $100, so I'm not giving him up. Sorry.
Maybe my clown will host it when I get it.

I have several of these..it came from the gulf of mexico right? Very hardy anemone and they are great for helping your tank cycle because they can live through just about anything. They can be easily pulled off the rock with no damage done to them.
Here is a picture of mine.:)

Originally Posted by sea_nacl_h2o
http:///forum/post/2776764
I have several of these..it came from the gulf of mexico right? Very hardy anemone and they are great for helping your tank cycle because they can live through just about anything. They can be easily pulled off the rock with no damage done to them.
Here is a picture of mine.:)

Myn looks similar to yours, but it is much more vibrant in color. the pictures don't do it any justice. I dont think yours are hawaiian anenomes. they look like rock anenomes to me :)

emilaya101

The blue one on the top looks like it very well could be one, though. The on e on the bottom, not so much.

PerfectDark - Why do you say that the clown will not lbe likely to host it ? Just too small, or what ?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Emilaya101
http:///forum/post/2778291
The blue one on the top looks like it very well could be one, though. The on e on the bottom, not so much.

PerfectDark - Why do you say that the clown will not lbe likely to host it ? Just too small, or what ?
The are not common to each other at all, this species of anemone is often found in shallow waters with vigorous currents and strong tides. Not saying 100% no... as they have been known to look at power heads to accept them. IMO there will be a very slim chance of it happening.
FYI If you have the stock lighting on your nano this anemone will die. They need very intense lighting.
I also think that sea_nacl_h2o has at least one of these anemones, the one in the second pic. However it is bleaching, as they are supposed to be dark dark maroon. The 2 have very similar physical characteristics, excluding color. There is another thread here that someone posted a hitchiker ID. It was confirmed as well to be a hawiian anemone, actually Fenner confirmed it, I posted his quote.

The little guy is doing good, the diatom is showing in my tank too, so not to much longer for my tank to cycle. I think that he is going to make it . Will he eat phytoplankton?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by happityLogan
http:///forum/post/2778333
The little guy is doing good, the diatom is showing in my tank too, so not to much longer for my tank to cycle. I think that he is going to make it . Will he eat phytoplankton?
He will eat anything meaty and small in size, its best chopped up fine. Mysis, krill, silverside, clam, shrimp etc etc all raw and chopped up small.
I hope you have success, my intention is only to inform and not to criticize. It is far to early to conclude that it is doing good. Success with any anemone is measured in years not weeks or months and in a few of each of the latter I think you will see a decline in health. JMO.

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2778306
I also think that sea_nacl_h2o has at least one of these anemones, the one in the second pic. However it is bleaching, as they are supposed to be dark dark maroon.
What?? Please don't try to give people information about creatures you know nothing about. This anemone was this color when it was collected from the gulf of mexico. They don't need any light to survive. They are warty anemones..they are called this because they have a bumpy warty like foot. They have several colors like tan, pink, green, blue,orange and red.
If your clown tries to host an anemone like this it will surely get eaten. They will try to eat anything that touches their tentacles. Once some thing touches their tentacles it is difficult to get it to let go. The bigger pink colored one in the second picture tried to eat my feeding tongs once. I feed them every type of seafood but they don't like krill. I tried feeding krill to several of them, they took it the krill of course, but then they spit it out later on. They are perfect for nano tanks because they don't get any bigger than 2 inches. This is my anemones all were collected from the gulf. I didn't collect them though, other reefers in texas did and my lfs gave them to me for free.
happityLogan- I am not sure if your anemone is the same as mine. It sure looks like it..I know for a fact mine are not from hawaii. Your lights are fine if your anemone is anything like mine, these are very hardy anemones and almost impossible to kill.
Another picture of mine..

perfectdark

Ok my bad then... no need to get nasty.
In all but color they look similar. FYI many different species of anemones do look similar and minor differances will separate one from the other. Especially when looking at different types of glass or rock anemones. Even in the locations they are collected. Although yours were collected in the gulf of Mexico, they could very well be just rock anemones which are native to caribbean waters not far from the gulf. If I had to take a second stab at a guess that would be it.
The one the OP has from what rather reliable sources tell me is a hawaiian anemone. Could it be something else? Sure. But in everything including color it fits.
Do you know the species of anemones you have?