How to get rid of dark green algae?

clownfish0

My tank has been going for about 2 months and I was wondering how to get rid of some of the dark green algae. It's not even a bad case of it I just don't like it. What makes it go away and is there anything that loves it eat it?

alyssia

Emerald crabs eat bubble algae, their description says they are voracious algae eaters, but I'm not sure if that includes all algaes. If your tank is big enough tangs will eat algae (although you should wait awhile to add one, they need an established tank) and I think dwarf angels will pick at algae as well.

clownfish0

Originally Posted by alyssia
Emerald crabs eat bubble algae, their description says they are voracious algae eaters, but I'm not sure if that includes all algaes. If your tank is big enough tangs will eat algae (although you should wait awhile to add one, they need an established tank) and I think dwarf angels will pick at algae as well.
will an emerald crab actually get rid of it or just keep it in check?

alyssia

Originally Posted by clownfish0
will an emerald crab actually get rid of it or just keep it in check?
They will get rid of bubble algae but I'm not sure about the other types. Hopefully someone else will help with that. :joy:

clownfish0

Originally Posted by alyssia
They will get rid of bubble algae but I'm not sure about the other types. Hopefully someone else will help with that. :joy:
Thanks so far. I will probably eventually get an emerald crab. They are so cool looking.

pchromis

Fish wise, you may want to consider a lawnmower blenny. They actually scrape the algae of surfaces thanks to their head and teeth pattern.