How to get rid of flatworms??

M

marley

i'm starting to get a lot of flatworms in my tank. i've been sucking them out with a turkey baster for over a month now, but no matter ow many times i do this they come back the next day.

kelly

Marley,
In the summer 2001 issue of SeaScope, it recommends a mandarin. I am not sure if it works (I never had flatworms), but they eat live food, and constantly swim around the tank looking for food.
It also said that leopard wrasses will eat them, but should be dewormed with a product called Flagy® before being introduced into the tank.
Good luck in getting rid of them. If it works, let us know, it would help others in the future.

q

I believe the six line wrasse eats them too. Keep after them with the baster though. Every one out of the tank is one less to reproduce.

rhearrel

I had flatworms in the past and tried everything from chemicals to animals.
The best and only solution that I found was a hungry six line wrasse. I had several mandarins but none of them were hungry enough to make a dent in the population.
After months of chemicals, freshwater dips, and mandarins, I tried a small little six line. Within two weeks, not a worm could be spotted.
Good luck.

M

marley

Thanks for the help. Appeciate it! i planned on getting a mandarin for my next fish anyway just because i like how they look. So that works out. I 've Been delaying it only because i wanted my number of copepods to build up. I loke how 6 line wrasses look and i wouldn't mind buying one: however, are they safe in a reef?

josh

Marley,
How did that wrasse work out with the worms? I have started to see some in my tank as well and want to nip them in the bud - if that is possible.
-Josh-