how to get rid of mantis shrimp

ncjetskier

I think I have a mantis shrimp (the one that kills fish). I have seen it during feeding times and it is lightning fast. Is there a trap to get rid of this thing and if so, where do I get one? Thanks.

nacl-h2o

Pet Warerhouse on weastern blvd in Jacksonville NC, has them and use to rent them for a few dollars. If you know what rock he hides in you could get him out by removing the rock and holding it over a bucket and sqwirt freash water oin all the rock holes he's hiding in until he jumps out.

ncjetskier

I asked Adam and he did not have anything. Why would anyone want one of these (Adam wanted it too). It has killed probably 4 of my fish so far. Anywhere else to get a trap from. Thx

clarkiiboi

On this board I have seen many DIY ways to trap them---try a search for mantis shrimp (narrow it down to the reef forumn, not the other forumns, just so your not overwhelmed) and you will get alot of different ways to try. You may have to try several different ways, until 1 works. Also, members want them for species only tanks, why I dont know, but some do. HTH

nacl-h2o

Adam is going to sell it if you can get it to him, there's a market for them. But they're people out there who like anything. Some people like to keep preditors like that. Most who keep them do so in small speices only tanks.