How to get rid of nuisance GSP's?

ecooper

You can get rid of it by sending it to me!!!
I love my GSP, but I guess I could see there may come a time when there's just too much...

D

dennis210

I now keep a few islands out on the sand bed for GSP, on the rocks someone here posted a fix and it seems to be working for me! Holdfast epoxy stick cover patchs and seal it over!

emm0909

If it's on the substrate just rip it in half and take it to the pet store or a nwe hobbiest will always love it.
If it is on a rock you can either trade it to a lfs for another rock and a little store credit or if it's on a rock that you dont want to get rid of, pull it out and use a hammer and chisel to break the surface off the rock.
Hammer and Chisel are your friend. People are always trying to get rid of things like mushrooms and can't figure out what to do. With a 3/8 wood chisel you can knock off little pieces that the stalks are stuck to and still save your whole rock.

reeferman1

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2477572
I now keep a few islands out on the sand bed for GSP, on the rocks someone here posted a fix and it seems to be working for me! Holdfast epoxy stick cover patchs and seal it over!
Can you buy this at a store instead of ordering it online?

chilwil84

turn your flow down or off and burn them with some kalk paste. ie one scoop of kalk powder and just enough water to alow you to suck it up with a turkey baster and cover them with it

scopus tang

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2477916
turn your flow down or off and burn them with some kalk paste. ie one scoop of kalk powder and just enough water to alow you to suck it up with a turkey baster and cover them with it
chilwil whats the effect on calcium levels and pH with this? I would think if you use too big of a scoop it could be disasterous? Usually Kalkwasser is dripped to avoid big changes in pH which can result in the introduction of this? Just curious?

bigmac

I've never tried this so I can't say if it will work or not...you COULD try putting some kind of plate or cup over the GSP so no light can get to em..it might stop the spread, or make things worse.

D

dennis210

The holdfast underwater curing epoxy is reef safe and I can now attest to two weeks covering up 5 patches of GSP and it hasn't grown out from under any of them!

teen

i cover them with epoxy, but they have to be covered at least 3 weeks IME. 2 weeks, and when you pull the epoxy off, they're still there. just take a few days to open.

reeferman1

Originally Posted by teen
http:///forum/post/2478377
i cover them with epoxy, but they have to be covered at least 3 weeks IME. 2 weeks, and when you pull the epoxy off, they're still there. just take a few days to open.
Do you have to pull off the epoxy? Or can you just leave it and coraline will eventually grow over it and blend in with the LR?