How to glue instructions needed please

mandarine65

I have this plug that is semi-covered with zoas. I shoved the plug into a hole in my LR and it fits pretty well, though not real firmly set in there, so my snails and shrimp keep knocking it out. I am hoping that eventually the zoas will grow and spread (there are some itty-bitty ones on the edges) and cover the plug entirely so that it can't be seen. How can I glue it in place and what glue is best for the job? Do I have to remove the rock from the water and dry it off or is this done underwater? Thanks y'all!

saltn00b

if you can remove the rock, then you can use super glue gel (cryo acrylate GEL)
if not, i would put a little reef cement / puddy (the 2 part mix activated stuff) in the hole and around the top of the plug (at least in 1-2 spots, if not the whole thing. honestly will likely work well with just some in the hole.

mandarine65

I hate to remove the rock and disturb everyone if I can avoid it so I will try the reef cement. Should this generally be available at my LFS?

saltn00b

should be. sold as a gray or green cylinder, 1" diameter, about 10" long. snip off a small circle with scissors, mush the inside to the outside in your fingers for about a minute. it will get hot. push everything in place and then it will harden. its not the BEST stuff, but can work effectively with the right situations. once under water you dont have too long to work with it.

spanko

No need to remove the rock, take the plug out, dry the plug off, apply the super glue gel where you want it, put the plug back in the tank into the hole, twist a bit to break the skin that forms on the glue when it goes into the water, hold for about 30 seconds. Done and secure.....

groupergenius

Originally Posted by mandarine65
http:///forum/post/2821191
Awesome! Sounds good, any recomendations on the glue? It won't hurt the fish or anyone else in there?
It has to be Superglue in the GEL form....everybody does it different. What I do is scub the rock, in the water, with an old toothbrush. I sacrafice my finger, put some SG gel on it and spread it hard on the rock in the tank. Let it set for 10 minutes or so. Then apply SG gel to the frag, don't use a bunch. It takes way longer for it to set up if you use too much. Then apply the frag to the spot you SG smeared on the rock. Twist it hard against the rock to break the "skin" that forms on the gel. Hold for a minute then should be golden.
Caution: make sure the SG on your finger is dried or gone before handling the frag unless you want it attatched to you.

dmyers557

Caution: make sure the SG on your finger is dried or gone before handling the frag unless you want it attatched to you.[img said:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Thats to funny.