How to go about this??

scooter8416

Don't know how to put this into the right words, but im gonna try, bear with me plz.:)
For a skimmer should the output water from it go directy into the return pump in the sump??
Or put it back to the baffles. But doing that wouldn't the same water be skimmed twice??
Here a few not so good diagrams. of what i mean.
Skimmer returned into return pump.

sandman12

If u put into the bafles i htink it would just get skimmed agian i would go straight to the return, what r u doing with all that space in the back? If nothing, u should make it a fuge

scooter8416

fuge.
Thats what I thought.
But then I want to run filter floss, where the water comes from the overflow, but then that will interfere with the performance skimmer. The water would go through the floss b4 the skimmer. Right?
I want to run the skimmer output water back to the baffles to reduce the micro bubbles. But then again if i do that don't the same water get skimmed twice??
Whats the best way to set this up??

dburr

Think of it this way, their's alot of water rushing past the skimmer, do you think it will pick up all of it? No. Back to the baffles would reduce the bubbles, you are correct.
The floss can go anywhere. Are you planning to run that 24/7?
Dan

scooter8416

Yeah, I was going to run the floss 24/7. I have always for about 2 years now. Works for me, takes out a lot of the dust particles ect. out of the tank.
I thought of this, what if I divided the baffels in half and the skimmer pump section. So, where the water come in form the sump, it goes through the baffles on one have, without ne floss. Then hits the skimmer pump. Then what extra water not intaked by the skimmer pump overflows into the return section goes back to the tank. THen the skimmer would output water would go to the other half of the baffles. I could put the floss in the other half of the baffles. The water coming out of the skimmer would go through the floss, baffles, then, in the other half of the empty skimmer pump section, then finally overflowing in to the return pump section, going back to the tank. THe fuge would overflow also, in to the return pump section.
THis way the skimmer CAN only run the same water through it once.
Ne one ever done this, what you think??
Thanks,
Shawn

dburr

I think I understand:confused:
Let me recap:
What doesn't go in the skimmer goes back to the tank.
What does go in the skimmer, also goes in the floss.
The refuge also spills to the return.
Right?
I would think, IMO, that what comes out of the skimmer should go to the return.
The refuge also to the return.
But, what misses the skimmer should get the floss. Is this possible? That way all of the water was some how filtered. What do you think?
Dan

scooter8416

U got it right.
Here's what would be the top view. Hows it look?, I'll do a side view if needed to clear it up more.

dburr

That looks like it will work. An auto top off will fit in there nice too. But that will prolly come later.;)

scooter8416

Thanks Dan for your help, I appericate it.
One last ?.
I've been running an auto top off with a 5 gal bucket, PH, and float switch, for about six months now.
JW, how you would u go about running an auto top off? Is there a better way ect.....
Thanks

dburr

I do a gravity feed w/ a kent float switch.
Works the same as you run basicly.
I can't think of a better way.;)