How to ground a tank...

bigred

How do you ground a tank? I would like to know how some of the different ways to do this because I have never done this before.

smuvcrmnal

It's Easy..
The most common way, I think, would be to purchase a grounding probe from your LFS and installing ti should be a breeze. I have two, one on my tank and one for back-up. All it requires is to screw the pronged connector into your wall outlet using the mounting screw for your wall outlet plate and dropping the probe into the tank. If you are running a sump it makes it so much easier to just drop the probe into your sump. Most stores have two different kinds of grounding probes, the size maybe the difference in cost.

skirrby

i still dont get why you would want to ground your tank.. it seems like a good idea.. but being a electrican it just dont make sence to me... based on this theory... if im working on a live circuit(which i do alot of) and i grap the black wire(hot) and i am not grounded to anything or dont touch a ground, i cannot get shocked, its just dont happen... but the second i ground myself (touch the ground wire, metal or whatever) BAMM i get shocked.
so if you have live stray current enter the tank and it does not have a ground it shouldnt affect much,, but if you add a ground it gives the current somewhere to go letting the current flow through the tank and shocking whatever is in it. that theory is based off normal house current. if things work differnt under water or in the tank.. i dunno i dont have any first hand experice with that. does that make any sence to anyone.. ill ask some of the journeymen i work with tomorrow see what they say

skirrby

yes its attracted to water but the hot still shouldnt affect it if it dont have a ground cause the circuit couldnt get completed.
but then again electricity works in strange ways.. if i can remeber to ask ill get info from the people with alot more knowledge of it than me.. just from my understanding ground probs seem like a gimmic to me and may casue more harm than good.. ill post what they tell me tomorrow

smuvcrmnal

I've been using a ground probe ever since I got a little shock from my tank one day feeding my Stonefish. One of my pumps was sending a small current through my tank. I think the cord was loose in the housing or something, but the grounding probe seem to work. I have also been told (don't know if it's true), but too many electric units, pumps, powerheads, will sometime bleed a little current into your tank affecting the fishes lateral line movement. Meaning, they do not all move together, some even seem confused moving about all willy-nilly.. I guess it's just a matter of preference. Bang, or Broomer, one the top-dogs should be able to explain it better..

broomer5

This topic seems to be one of much debate.
I'm no expert in the ways of electricity, but I'll share my opinion here.
The way I see it .... there are two distinct parts to this question.
One - protecting our fish and inverts from voltage / current.
Two - protecting us from voltage / current.
An induced voltage on the tankwater from lighting or other electrical sources is different from a short in an electrical appliance in contact with the saltwater.
An induced voltage ( like a static charge you get when you shuffle across the carpet in wool socks ) is just that - it's static. The voltage potential ( relative to ground ) exists in you or the tankwater until it is allowed to reach a ground source.
If you move across the carpet and generate this static charge in your body - you are somewhat like a capacitor. Your body holds this charge until you touch something that is grounded. Then your body discharges the voltage in the way of current - and you feel the shock, hear and see the spark.
The tankwater, being very conductive saltwater surrounded by the insulating glass tank, can act as a capacitor too. If your lighting or other electrical appliances near the tank are inducing a voltage within the tankwater - and the tankwater is not grounded with a grounding probe - then this induced voltage may remain until you reach in a touch the water. You may then feel the momemtary shock as the capacitor ( tankwater ) discharges it's charge through your body.
There is no current flow through the circuit until you touch the water. A grounding probe in this case would protect you from this shock - but also allow for a constant discharge of any induced voltage that would be present in the tankwater.
This is fine if all were talking about is "induced" voltage.
A short circuit ( where a pump or powerhead or heater ) is damaged/defective .... is a different story. If this defective appliance is allowed to remain in the tankwater .... and you have a grounding probe in the tankwater ... chances are the short will cause a circuit breaker or the houses electrical fuse to trip/burn out.
Hopefully this happens. Otherwise, if this conditions exists and does not cause the house circuit to trip .... then when you reach into the tank you could get more than just a mild static shock.
You could get a severe shock ... being that you are now acting as the ground for the shorted appliance.
The use of a GFI ground fault interupt is often recommended with all electrical appliances near water, and is most always recommended in this hobby.
If there is a short in a heater or pump/powerhead - the GFI should trip very fast - protecting us from electrical shock.
How this affects the fish/inverts ... I couldn't tell you for sure.
I have my thoughts .. but that's all.
Current flowing through an animal can be deadly.
Stray voltage ( induced ) within the tankwater has been discussed as causing some problems with fish. There's a ton of information on the internet and within these pages if you do a search.
I run a grounding probe and GFI on my tanks.
I protect myself and my family first ...... fish and inverts second.
I would like to hear what others think about this as well.
I'm open to learn more about this too.

I agree with broomer. Besides being a mechanic I am also a liscenced electrician and you need to ground your tank to protect yourself and your fish.
I too had a pump fail and when I touched the water I suddenly became the short to ground and got a nice shock from it. It was not fun. How long the pump had been bad was anyones gues as it could have been shorted and I would not have felt it if I was not grounded when working in the tank. I am sure it had to be affecting my fish and thank goodness one of my grand kids was not the one to get shocked.
Ground your tanks everyone.

bang guy

Originally posted by therealtoddius
I am also a liscenced electrician and you need to ground your tank to protect yourself and your fish.

Always good to hear from the professionals.
Also always use GFCI!!!!
Nothing better than dinking around the tank and breaking a heater. Without GFCI this could kill you even if the tank is grounded. With GFCI you'll just notice the tank lights going off... not your lights ;)

skirrby

ok ill agree with the ground prop/rod how.. i talked with some journeyman and they explained it good. yes they will help save you from getting a severe shock.. and they should help the breaker trip in case of voltage leaking into the tank.. and i strongly strongly urge the use of GFCI outlets/circuits on tank equip. alot of new houses have arc fault circuits in the bedrooms, these are real nice to have as they are even more sensitive than a gfci. hopefully we will all never get shocked by out tanks... getting shocked by 120 volt house current isnt fun, trust me i know all to well lol. and remember while alot of times it will only be a quick supprise and scare you a little bit.. it can be extreamly deadly

125intx

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Always good to hear from the professionals.
Also always use GFCI!!!!
Nothing better than dinking around the tank and breaking a heater. Without GFCI this could kill you even if the tank is grounded. With GFCI you'll just notice the tank lights going off... not your lights ;)

Maybe thats what my problem is, my lights just never came back on all the way, kinda dim :notsure: