How to level a 8ft tank?

cougar

Any ideas on how to level a tank that is 8ft long. It is going to sit on ceramic tile, ontop of a slab of concrete. Will simple shimmies work on one side or will that create pressure points on the stand? The stand is solid and built with plywood on the bottom.

joncat24

i would say that simple wood shims would be the way to go. or put some type of high density foam underneath as a self leveler. just my .02

mbrennan

Pick up some door/window/whatever shims 8" - 12" long, pack of 12 or so, available in either wood or plastic like material, at a local home improvement store. Put between floor and stand, not between stand and tank.

psusocr1

thicker and bigger washers work very well!! the shims will sink a bit whereas a washer on concrete you can be sure it will hold its level for ALONG TIME

cougar

I will try the shimms, I just am cautious because I don't want to break any tile or hurt the wood stand.

dirty-d

dont you think the tank and water alone would crack or break the tile it sits on??then you would have a bigger problem than just an unlevel tank...........just my thoughts

cougar

No, I have talked to the installers. I purchased porcelain instead of ceramic, which is harder and also the installer did butter backing, which is when they put mortor on both the floor and the back of the tile when laying increasing the strength. The tile is rated at 400 PSI. As long as I don't have pressure points everything is still guarantied.

acrylic51

Is the tank glass or acrylic????? If it's glass I would put at least 3/4" foam down before I set the tank into place to take up any minor deficiences in your levelness.....As far as shimming you never want to shim the tank itself you would want to shim the stand or counter it's going to sit on.......I would use solid wood strips before using standard shims or use the synthetic shims you can get at Lowes or HD.......But again never shim the tankt should be done on the stand itself or you will create pressure points.

phixer

Having a level surface for a glass tank is especially important because glass will show no signs of strain before it fails catastrophicaly. Just use a piece of 3/4 styrofoam from one of the home centers, place the tank and check with a carpenters level. By shimming the stand you still keep the surface flat.

cougar

I do have a layer of styrofoam under the tank. And it really isn't a complete slope I have. The last 1.5ft of my 8ft tank drops about a quater inch or so. I really do think the shims will work I was just hoping for agreeing fish people before I did it. Thanks for all the replies guys.