how to lower PH?

karavak

My PH sits at 8.6 pretty much all the time, every once in a while it will dip to 8.4 (I think.. hard for me to tell, some color blindness) but I hear that 8.2 - 8.3 is where I want to be.
What can I do to get PH into that range?

karavak

I'm using Reef Builder to keep Alk stable and Reef advantage to raise the Calc. Reef builder says with long term use there will be a tendency to stabilize at 8.3 but I've been using for about 2 months now. Have been following the suggestion from the LFS.

florida joe

Aquariums that have a abundant algal growth can also have a high pH, the reason for this is a shortage of CO2 levels to correct a high ph reading you must increase the level of CO2 into the water. Either by increasing gas exchange with the atmosphere by increasing water agitation by protein skimming or power head at the surface of the water another method to increase CO2 is to add an organic acid such as vinegar which breaks down into CO2

karavak

I don't have a problem with alge right now but perhaps the fact that this is a tall tank (65g) means I need to adjust my agitation. Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

florida joe

Originally Posted by karavak
http:///forum/post/2864128
I don't have a problem with alge right now but perhaps the fact that this is a tall tank (65g) means I need to adjust my agitation. Thanks! I'll give that a shot.
keep be informed