How to make a Pod Rock.

moonshadow

I was wanting more pods to grow in my tank and I found a way to make a pod rock in about 10 minutes. I went outside and found a small piece of limestone (which is easy here in Missouri). I took a small chisel and split the rock on the cleavage point down the middle. Then using a grinding stone on my dremel I ground out a small area on the inside of the two pieces in the center of the rock. When you put the rock back together you have a cavity about the size of a marble in the center. I then boiled the rock to sterilize it. After it cooled down. All I needed to do is put some flakes and some chopped shrimp in the cavity, put the rock back together and place it in my fuge. The crack around the rock is big enough for the pods to run in and out of the rock. It could also be put in the main tank, and the fish or crabs could get to the food. It looks better than the strawberry crate and a rock pile. I just put it in the fuge so I will let you know how well it works.

earlybird

Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure limestone is reef safe even if boiled. I believe it can leach metals into our tanks.

moonshadow

Never heard of it leaching metals into the tank. I know some people use limestone as their base rock without any problems. Most limestone around here doesn't look like it has any metal content in it whatsoever, just calcium carbonate.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Moonshadow
Never heard of it leaching metals into the tank. I know some people use limestone as their base rock without any problems. Most limestone around here doesn't look like it has any metal content in it whatsoever, just calcium carbonate.
You're right. I wasn't thinking of the composition, don't know what I was thinking.

moonshadow

It works great. By the next morning I was loaded with crawling pod critters all over the rock. I can't wait for the rock to get some growth on it so it doesn't stand out so much. It should be great for a Mandarin Dragonette later on.