how to make overflows quiet. they r so loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lluv24

hello, i have a 120 with to overflows built in. i just wanted to know if somebody has some pics of how to make them more quiet. they r so loud right know. any help would be great. thanks

242bats

do a search on "stand pipes" i had to put them in my 180gal, no one in the house could sleep.
thay worked for me

fishhunter

I have a 125 in my bedroom!!!
I have a stand pipe and it goes right down to a filter. The discharge is right on the filter pad so its more or less silenced. There is a small trickle sound but it is quite pleasant actually. I'll post some pics in a bit!

S

saxman

We run dual Durso-style standpipes on our 100 gal, and it's nice and quiet. You do need to "tune" them sometimes by adjusting the amount of venting they need, but that's EZ.

deejeff442

agree on the durso.look them up you can get the parts at depot and are very easy to make.just make sure you drill a suction relief hole on the side or it will drain too low when the pump is shut off and there goes the carpet

242bats

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/380463/how-to-make-overflows-quiet-they-r-so-loud#post_3311679
agree on the durso.look them up you can get the parts at depot and are very easy to make.just make sure you drill a suction relief hole on the side or it will drain too low when the pump is shut off and there goes the carpet
i thank the hole needs to be in the top of the pipe (the cap) thats what i did and i only get about an inch of water from the overflow
to the sump

242bats

oh and BTW the stand pipe that i did was a pipe(pvc) up from the bulkhead then a tee(with tee off to the side) a short pipe up and a cap.a small pipe out of the tee with a 90 degree fitting that goes down. the way thay say to do it is start with a small hole and run the system at full (all the return pumps on) it may pull the water to the bottom of the (90) if so make the hole bigger in very small steps.
i am going thy a pic of the one i made for you.