How to make wife LOVE your reef tank!!!

reefforbrains

Ok so I have had this up my sleeve for a while and wanted to suprise her with it so I did the following.
I have an obsession with my reef, constantly adding and just generally playing with it. I travel alot so I have tons of friends in the hobby and some of them own shops so often business mixes in and it can be too much for someone not in the hobby with so much talk about shipping, airport timetables and different corals.
I hid the ring (1.4 center stone) .71 then .30 side stones 5 stones total.
I proposed originally on Feb 14th and the 71 is for my project in my avatar, thats another obsession. The .30 just looked best when I was choosing the stones to build it. (she has a thing about rings with 5 stones) Color is not perfect but the stones are dead clear and unflawed internally and in cut and table. (Yes I had saved for LOOOOOONNNNG TIME)
Had the thing built as a sollitare with a bridge of the other stones that wrap around it.
I came home today and was farting around with the tank and stuck it into the substrate. She asked me about the new add and I said a mushroom polyp. Holded up a bag I had prepped with a cup of water and a small rock in it. I asked her to check it out and she just smiled and said it looked great. It could have been a turd in a bag and she would say the same and smile supportivly. She rocks.......
So I finished hiding it in the tank and asked her to look at the new add and see if she could find it. Also that the new actics supplements make some of the rocks look shiny. So I asked her to look and see then I casually went to the garage to finish painting the top to the new Nano I built.
needless to say 5 minutes later ALL I heard was screaming and dogs barking. She was bouncing off the walls and the dogs were going nutz. I knew this was coming so I whipped out the cam and the rest is in the pics.

She was all giddy and shaking barley able to hold still and so afriad her hands were dirty but wanted to just dive headfirst into the tank. (thats a first)
Though I would share with you folks and only hope you folks have someone as good in your life.
Mods can move this to the aqaurium, but I think it belongs here in the Reef section since those with reefs can put such strain on thier spouse and they will surley appreciate this thread.

C

cadillac swang

aww man, what a nice way to go about it, really i might have to try that one time. its opposite at my house, my wife hates when im buying all this stuff for my tank, then when company arrives, she forgets we have chinchillas, farretts, etc... its like have you ever seen my husbands reef tank

anubisxero

That's awesome man. Good job on the ring and the super surprise. I couldn't have thought of that ever. Congrats!
Jason

tahoetanks

Well done reef for brains! Creative and impressive.
Just one question...she did say yes, right? :cheer:
Congrats!!!

autofreak44

were all such freaks
oh well
who else would find a way to tie a fish tank into the whole marital thing? haha
great job
sounds like she liked it :cheer:

lazypinoy

brains...ur freakin creative.. imma have to use that trick when i get older. ahahahaha! u shoulda had it on video tape!!!!

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
brains...ur freakin creative.. imma have to use that trick when i get older. ahahahaha! u shoulda had it on video tape!!!!
heres the play by play........
Put hands at about shoulder level with elbows bent and flap your hands quickly while just jumping up and down repeating OMG, OMG, OMG....No WAY!!!, OMG OMG OMG, REALLY?, OMG OMG......
Oh yeah and dogs going crazy from her boucing around the room trying to dive into the tank.

[hr]
For the record we have been married for several years. I dont want to down play it and say its just another ring, but its something she has been dreaming to show off to her friends and you know when giving a nice diamond, your wife/girlfriend will tell you it doesnt matter what it cost, but you know half the fun of her having a ring like this is when she goes to someone that knows what they are looking at and they scrutinize it and cant find a flaw.
Mother, sisters, her friends and co-workers, she is the reigning champ now with size and quality. They completley deny they compare but its true and we guys all know it. There goes my new vette for a few more years *sigh* but when I look back at the enjoyment I would get from another car compared to the way she sits and stares are the ring and its no comparison.

puffer32

That is soooooooooooooooo romantic. Well, not exactly romantic but if my hubby did something to tie 2 of the most important things in my life together (our love and our tanks) like that, I would marry him instead of just being common law like we are now :thinking: i love this story

L

lbaskball

hey brain, how about a big frogspawn coral frag trade for just one of those diamonds?

tx reef

Very nice.....it takes things like that to keep a marriage exciting.
I proposed to my wife on July 4th 2004. There were about 3,000 people there and after the fireworks I got up on stage in front of all those people and called Tina up to the stage and got down on one knee and proposed. It was great.....

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Ok so I have had this up my sleeve for a while and wanted to suprise her with it so I did the following.
I have an obsession with my reef, constantly adding and just generally playing with it. I travel alot so I have tons of friends in the hobby and some of them own shops so often business mixes in and it can be too much for someone not in the hobby with so much talk about shipping, airport timetables and different corals.
I hid the ring (1.4 center stone) .71 then .30 side stones 5 stones total.
I proposed originally on Feb 14th and the 71 is for my project in my avatar, thats another obsession. The .30 just looked best when I was choosing the stones to build it. (she has a thing about rings with 5 stones) Color is not perfect but the stones are dead clear and unflawed internally and in cut and table. (Yes I had saved for LOOOOOONNNNG TIME)
Had the thing built as a sollitare with a bridge of the other stones that wrap around it.
I came home today and was farting around with the tank and stuck it into the substrate. She asked me about the new add and I said a mushroom polyp. Holded up a bag I had prepped with a cup of water and a small rock in it. I asked her to check it out and she just smiled and said it looked great. It could have been a turd in a bag and she would say the same and smile supportivly. She rocks.......
So I finished hiding it in the tank and asked her to look at the new add and see if she could find it. Also that the new actics supplements make some of the rocks look shiny. So I asked her to look and see then I casually went to the garage to finish painting the top to the new Nano I built.
needless to say 5 minutes later ALL I heard was screaming and dogs barking. She was bouncing off the walls and the dogs were going nutz. I knew this was coming so I whipped out the cam and the rest is in the pics.
She was all giddy and shaking barley able to hold still and so afriad her hands were dirty but wanted to just dive headfirst into the tank. (thats a first)
Though I would share with you folks and only hope you folks have someone as good in your life.
Mods can move this to the aqaurium, but I think it belongs here in the Reef section since those with reefs can put such strain on thier spouse and they will surley appreciate this thread.
I got teary eyed reading that. I hope to find a romantic one day.

azfishgal

:cheer: Kudos to you for a job well done!!!! I'm the wife that is trying to get my husband involved, how do you think a drill would look? :hilarious Actually he's pretty good about it and likes to see the new things I add, so no fights on this topic. I just showed him the pics and told him he could put a right hand ring in the tank for me some day, that would be a nice surprise.
We've been married for over 13 years, so it's time for another diamond ring for the right hand.

reefforbrains

Thank you to those that have responded. I had to share.
She is still bouncing and I can just see her sitting and staring at it every spare moment. Goes to the windowsill and tries to be sly about it but shes totally hypnotized with it. Every time I see her staring at it and smirking not knowing anyone is watching it makes me SOOO glad I didnt buy a bike or a new rear end for the hotrod. Much better mney spent in having her quietly smirking at the windowsill
*buffs knuckles on chest* Now to sneek in the new calcium reactor while the gett'ns good.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
*buffs knuckles on chest* Now to sneek in the new calcium reactor while the gett'ns good.
Soooooo, there was a motive. :hilarious It won't matter though, that ring is BEAUTIFUL!!! So I'm sure she'll let you get whatever you want.

reefforbrains

No Im not a total dirtbag,.......... but also not one to pass up the oppourtunity to sneek in equip while coast is clear. LOL