how to move a tank?

silentshaw

i'll be moving in two weeks its only 10 miles away. and was wondering what is the best way to move my tank and water, LR, LS, livestock. without having to cycle again and keeping all the livestock healthy. any advice would be helpfull, thanks

squidd

You can do a "search" on moving tanks...theres a bunch of info on moving 10', 10 miles, and 10 hrs...
But basically if you get a couple of 30 gal Rubber Maid "trash cans" (new/clean) and put 20 gals water your fish a heater and a powerhead in one...then the rest of the water, and rock in the other..and the sand in a couple 5 gal buckets....
Then move to your new location plug in the heater and powerhead...set up the tank add sand...put a plastic garbage bag over the sand, add water slowly to not disturb the sand too much... remove the bag, add rock and let settle for a bit then add rest of water and the fish...

masterreef

I prefer the rubbermaid storage bins to trash cans, but - to each his own. One for fish, corals, and two or so for live rock. Good Luck!

squidd

The storage bins are nice if you can get one with a nice tight fitting lid...
The trash cans are nice because if you put 20 gals in a 30 gal can, you still have 10" of "sides" for the sloshing of water as you drive down the road...
If the lid pops off your storage bin....:thinking: :D

moved a 75 gallon and then a 150 in two different weekends
over 700 miles one way
no loss of life
use rubbermaid totes and shrink wrap (saran wrap, stretch plastic) to keep the lids on tight
heat packs if necessary
put totes on blankets to minimize heat loss
Do not use garbage cans 7.8 pounds per gallon just for the water

gbpack

I have used 55 gallon drums and foam boxes from the LFS to move my tanks in the past. I have had my 3 55's for five years now. I use them every time I move and I am able to keep almost 100% of my water. You can usually find new un-used 55's at some sam's clubs. You can get them from rubbermaid if you know someone who has an industrial catalog for them. You can order straight from rubbermaid. Here is a site where you can order from. Mine are now doubling as storage for my RO/DI and SW mixing tanks.
http://www.bascousa.com/containers/
http://www.emergencyresources.com/er_p13.html