How To QT a Powder Blue

fishermon

My lfs has a small powder blue that I'm considering. I've never QT a fish before.
Do I just buy a 10 gal tank, use some water from my tank (acclimate him yo it), and add a powerhead?
Also how long does he need to be in a QT tank?
What's the deal with hyposalinity?
Thanks

kevin34

Fish should be in QT for 3-4 weeks (preferably 4). With a QT that small I dont know if I would try a difficult fish like a powder blue. Hyposalinity if when you do small water changes taking out salt water and adding in pure RO water until the salinity is lowered to 1.009. Once the salinity is lowered keep the fish in this salinity for 3-4 weeks. Once this time is up slowly raise the salinity back up to normal over the course of 2 days or so. Its used to treat ick.

florida joe

please read beths thread on setting up a QT tank but right off the bat you need to cycle your QT no just add tank water you will need a filter a heater somthing like a piece of pvc to make the fish feel safe the 3 to 4 weeks is only if your fish shows not signs of any desease if it does keep it in hypo for 4 weeks after the signs are gone

bigmac

I'd not QT a PBT in a 10 gal tank...50 gal maybe, you'd be making things worse putting that kind of fish in a 10 gal tank.
I'd look at what ever Beth has to offer..She know's what a PBT needs to thrive...right Beth :)

bird dog

First question is what are you going to put it in and with what after QT.
That fish is an ick magnet. You need water volume in an established reef
tank (Big Tank) for that fish to avoid or overcome ick especialy with other fish and not running copper.

florida joe

Originally Posted by bigmac
http:///forum/post/2481393
I'd not QT a PBT in a 10 gal tank...50 gal maybe, you'd be making things worse putting that kind of fish in a 10 gal tank.
I'd look at what ever Beth has to offer..She know's what a PBT needs to thrive...right Beth :)
i dont know a lot of peple with a 50g QT 10 is good 20 better but go with what you have just QT

florida joe

Originally Posted by Bird Dog
http:///forum/post/2481566
First question is what are you going to put it in and with what after QT.
That fish is an ick magnet. You need water volume in an established reef
tank (Big Tank) for that fish to avoid or overcome ick especialy with other fish and not running copper.
Enough with the ick magnet S---t please tangs need large tanks to prosper it has nothing to do with ick once again if no ick is present in your tank or on your fish THERE IS NO ICK

sh2000

Is it better to QT a Tang in a 10 gal and if so for how long or just put him directly in a fowlr 80 gal tank.
his tankmates would be a porc. puffer a niger trigger a flame angel and a royal gramma.

florida joe

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2481914
Is it better to QT a Tang in a 10 gal and if so for how long or just put him directly in a fowlr 80 gal tank.
his tankmates would be a porc. puffer a niger trigger a flame angel and a royal gramma.

i feel so much better now ok yes its better to QT in a 10G QT for 3 to 4 weeks if no signs of desese you can put him in your DT if somthing is present treat with hypo or copper then 4 weeks after signs are gone