How to replace carpet under a large reef tank?

puffer32

My tank is a 150 gal reef chock full of corals and 200 lbs of LR. We were discussing what to do when we need to replace the carpet on the floor the tank sits on. I do not want to take everything out and move it. Any ingenius ideas on working around this???

renogaw

Magic :)
point at the reef tank and say "wallapazoooooo" and it should levitate enough to get the carpet out from under the tank, then "zimpapapa" will settle it down on the new carpet.
well, ok that probably won't work so get out your totes and drain your system. that's the only way you're going to safely replace your carpet.

jennythebugg

Originally Posted by renogaw
Magic :)
point at the reef tank and say "wallapazoooooo" and it should levitate enough to get the carpet out from under the tank, then "zimpapapa" will settle it down on the new carpet.
well, ok that probably won't work so get out your totes and drain your system. that's the only way you're going to safely replace your carpet.

smarta$$

renogaw

well, come on... can't lift the tank with the stuff in it. heck, i'd like to see someone lift a 20 gallon tank full of water, let alone such a huge reef tank with that much rock.

cvetnich

I agree the only real way is draining your tank and moving it then replace the carpet and put the tank back!

maxalmon

I've seen people try and move a partially drained a tank, leaving LS and LR in place. It's a disaster waiting to happen, it's realy easy to flex a gals tank and then you have a major probem when it either cracks or splits a seam....Checkout oregonreef.com and how he moved his tank, do the same thing, but only in a much, much smaller version...

ninjamini

Yep you have to move the tank or carpet around it. Then save a piece of carpet to patch the hole when you sell.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Yep you have to move the tank or carpet around it. Then save a piece of carpet to patch the hole when you sell.
LOL.............

rabbit_72

We are purposely waiting to buy our larger tank until the new carpet is installed...well, bought too. That way, we have no worries.

marinelife

Just leave that carpet under the tank and save a piece of the new so if you ever move the tank you just replace that area, that is what I did

farslayer

Uh, duh, call Spiderman? He can bench about 10 tons, so I'm guessing for a small fee he'd just hold it up for you for a while.

A

alix

i say go with the carpet around it deal, as long as your using solid colored carpeting (so it matches up) when i was staining the floor i didnt move anything. just bypassed the tank, chairs, bookcase, my mom yelling at me...

rabbit_72

I don't think I would go around it. We already have experience moving a tank and it isn't so bad when done carefully and with patience.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by Farslayer
Uh, duh, call Spiderman? He can bench about 10 tons, so I'm guessing for a small fee he'd just hold it up for you for a while.
Or use "THE FORCE" sorry for that, but everyone else is supplying an obnoxious answer. lol

If moving the tank to another location permanently is possible that is the best way...We had our floors refinished and just moved the tank from our living room to my bedroom, since its my tank anyway....
If whoever is installing is quick enough maybe you could move the tank, rip out the old install the new and put it right back before finishing the rest of the room?
Or just install that in wall tank that we all wish we had...lol
Just make up lots of water, and collect tons of buckets.
Moving tank is also a great time to clean the tank...You may think youve done a good job but there all kinds of scum under and behind rocks (at least mine did).
I didnt bother removing the sand but I took everything else out.
Adam

puffer32

Originally Posted by fedukeford
Sounds like its just time to upgrade the tank and put the new tank in a different spot

We have another tank, 55 gal, and have no interest in upgrading our 150.
We had an inwall tank in our last house, no intrest in doing that again.
And we don't want to move the tank to a diffent location in the house.
Soooooooooooo We will either have to hire help to move it Levitation didn't work and superman is busy
) long enough to replace the carpet or work around it. The latter sounds the easiest. We have no plans on ever selling, only been in our house 1 yr after relocating from Pa to TX, so when we ever do move again it will probably be so long from now we will have to put new carpets in again anyway