How to screen powerheads.

wartooth1

Hey guys,
I was wondering what the best methods are to screen your powerheads so that delicate creatures such has sea hares and cucumbers don't get sucked up are without weakening the flow?
If you have any "how to" pics that would be great to!
Thanks! :D

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartooth1 http:///t/391962/how-to-screen-powerheads#post_3478401
Hey guys,
I was wondering what the best methods are to screen your powerheads so that delicate creatures such has sea hares and cucumbers don't get sucked up are without weakening the flow?
If you have any "how to" pics that would be great to!
Thanks! :D
Ladies pantyhose and a rubber band.
I would post a pic, but I think that you can figure it out.

kiefers

If I may,....the nylon trick is affective however, I personally use the netting used to make the open tops. Wrap the powerhead and top off with a rubberband or small plastic twisty ties.

geoj

The suction from the power-heads can trap and kill delicate weak swimmer/crawlers. The large powerful pumps need more then 2 inches of foam. A closed loop will work for all types of animals if the intake is in a sump and the overflows are covered with thick foam.

wartooth1

For the record my powerheads are not all that powerful, I have a 40 gallon tank so the powerheads in it are strong enough for that size. I've seen my turbo and trochus snails crawl along the suction areas and not get harmed... but I'd like to make the powerheads cucumber proof since I am wanting to add a pink and green cucumber soon.

geoj

My experience has been with the Blue Velvet Nudibranch. I have lost two or three of them till I switched to a closed loop and added a large sponge to the overflow of my 60 cube. You say the plan is to keep a pink/green cucumber. I could be wrong but, what I read makes me think that their ability to move is very minimal. Sort of stumble stumble, crawl crawl.

wartooth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/391962/how-to-screen-powerheads#post_3478433
My experience has been with the Blue Velvet Nudibranch. I have lost two or three of them till I switched to a closed loop and added a large sponge to the overflow of my 60 cube. You say the plan is to keep a pink/green cucumber. I could be wrong but, what I read makes me think that their ability to move is very minimal. Sort of stumble stumble, crawl crawl.
Yeah from what I understand pink and greens will only wander the tank when they are new to the tank but once they find a spot they like they are quite happy staying there all the time. At one of the FLS by me they let me handle one... its actually quite firm to the touch. Mening, it felt soft at first but it could clench itself and become hard and rubbery to the touch...so actually I would only be worried if it decided to stick its feeder tentacles into a powerhead or something.

wartooth1

Well after I got off work yesterday afternoon I screened the powerheads using the advise given and then went and got the cucumber. I put it on the lowest rock in the center of the tank and it climbed up to a higher rock and extended its feeding tentacles. Since my research on these cucumbers shows that these guys rarely wander on their own, I'm feeling confidant that if where it is now is its happy spot, it won't bother going near a powerhead anyway.
Is there a pic? Of course there is!

shine01

Nice blog. Getting credit card debt relief is not quite as hard as you may think. They key is to do things slowly and surely, putting one foot in front of the other.One good suggestion would be to request a free credit report [free instant credit report] to see how much damage has been done. Credit Card Debt Relief Reviews