how to seed lace rock?

ohioguy06

So if i use in a 100 gal 50lbs base and 50lbs live rock then thats still 1-3 months i know alla bout the cycleing period and that stuff but didnt think it would take longer than the cycleing periob to do it?

ddress007

I usually put the live rock on top of the base rock; i see faster spreads that way. Probably at least a month before you see anything

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by ddress007
I usually put the live rock on top of the base rock; i see faster spreads that way. Probably at least a month before you see anything
im not worried so much about looks im worried about bioload factors is the base rock gonna take for ever to build enough benificial bacteria to handle a fish load period...

ddress007

its just depends on how many fish you are trying to add. With a 100g of water and 50lbs of lr you should be able to house a few fish until the rest is seeded, especially if you have live sand. i would wait until the whole thing is seeded and stable before adding your whole wish list for the sake of less flucuation and water changes. As the seeding progresses, which might take a month or longer, your not going to get any spikes because of the gradual progression. My advice is treat the tank is if it only has 50lbs of lr and add fish accordingly. Then after awhile add as if you had 100lbs of lr. Plus as you already know you should not add all fish at once and should spread it out over several weeks. This will give you ample time to QT your fish anyway.

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by ddress007
its just depends on how many fish you are trying to add. With a 100g of water and 50lbs of lr you should be able to house a few fish until the rest is seeded, especially if you have live sand. i would wait until the whole thing is seeded and stable before adding your whole wish list for the sake of less flucuation and water changes. As the seeding progresses, which might take a month or longer, your not going to get any spikes because of the gradual progression. My advice is treat the tank is if it only has 50lbs of lr and add fish accordingly. Then after awhile add as if you had 100lbs of lr. Plus as you already know you should not add all fish at once and should spread it out over several weeks. This will give you ample time to QT your fish anyway.
Yes the 100 gal is going to be temp home till the 280 is bult for my sohal...... i had a different user name at one point but we wont go there but when i was new guy to saltwater i didnt know any better and didnt reasearch my buying before i bought them so now im do whats right for the fish but sohal needs a bigger tank to swim

ohioguy06

okie dokie last try i promise...... i know i was up all night with the child........so i kept bumping. ..........
to stay awake all day