how to set fans on water temp controls? (goofyreefer)

sgt__york

RE: 2 fans for lighting hood (primary and backup)
Only thoughts right now - set both on temp timers (not sure how yet) - and set backup at 2deg higher than the normal temp of the tank w/the 1 fan running. Are there Temperature "switches" out on the market for saltwater application somewhere???
================
goofyreefer
Firefish
Member # 5040
posted June 29, 2002 02:34 AM

[hr]
Use a relay to control the fans. The relay will have atleast one normaly open and one normaly closed contact. Use one with a 120 volt coil and rated for the amps you will pull from the fans which won't be much. If I can help out LMK.
================
Follow-UP
Isn't a relay just a mechanical switch tho? what is the "control" that activates the relay? Is there some form of temperature control device to 'activate' the relay? And if one is normally open/one normally closed - doesn't that leave one operating at all times?
My thoughts were.. to have the fan turn on with the first set of blue lights. Plan is to run the actenic blues for 10hrs - the 50/50 actenic whites for 7hrs - with a 1.5hr gap on each side. Thus the fans would turn on w/the first set of lights - helping to get ride of any 'non light' heat - and be kick'n by the time the lights get going.
I'm just wanting the 2nd fan as a BACKUP - to somehow monitor water temp, and KICK IN if water temp gets to a certain level (perhaps due to hot day 'or' the primary fan cuts out for some reason)
Any specifics on how to achieve this would be GREATLY appreciated

goofyreefer

My impression was/is that you were going to have a fan circulating air whenever the lights are on. But if for some reason the one fan were to not work you would want the back up to kick on. I understand what you are saying and it is possible but i have to think about it. If you want to contact n=me my email is timmc29@aol.com

fishforme

Buy an Aquacontroller II... mines great... I have multiple fans that kick on at different temperatures...

sgt__york

WOW... I looked em up.. a $450 dollar thermometer eh? LOL
actually that device is quite impressive. That's a high dollar, but once u have $5000+ invested in tank, corals, etc... that's cheap insurance to provide some of the parameters it can keep. Heck, w/the extra power source and programing, u could put a generator that kicks on during power outages.. LOL.. ahh.. to dream :)
However, after looking at several controllers - they all seem quite elabrate - and try to do a LOT at once.
Is there a more cost effecitve controller for TEMPERATURE alone?? ie, once temp hits a certain set value - turn on an outlet (that can control a fan or whatever).
The cheapest thing i've found so far is "Digital Temperature Controller" at about $120. Just seems a bit pricey for a digital thermostate (replacements are like $25); a relay; and a variable preset control switch. I just wondered, if there is anything else out there?
I'm thinking have the fan just cut on w/the lights.. and as i need a good thermometer anyways.. be nice to have one that i could preset toa temp to active fan #2.

saltyrich

Let me second the opinion of hooking up the fans, along with the lights to a timer. That way they'll all come on at the same time. If you want to control the temp of the lights, about your only option is to go with the Ice Cap fan. It has a temp. probe that senses the temp in the hood light canopy itself and adjusts the CFMs of the fan to compensate. I did a net search and found it for about $43.