How to set up a light cycle for my 'fuge?

peanut1181

I am unsure of how to run the lights on my fuge. I have a 15g nano with a 15g 'fuge with basically nothing in it yet as I am still cycling the tank. I have two normal output 60w (120w total) flourescent lights above my 'fuge. Should I leave them on 24/7? Should I run them only during the day when my display tank lights are on? Should I run them only at night when my display tank lights are off? How will the manner in which I run my lights effect my tank? In the 'fuge I have caulerpa and such... how will my light cycle effect that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Peanut1181

reefnut

If you have caulerpa in the fuge running the lighting 24/7 can help prevent it from going sexual. Running the lighting opposite of the display tanks lighting will help stabilize your PH. Don't know any advantages of running it during the day with the main lighting. I run mine 24/7 in my 125g.

reefnut

If you were to check your PH just before the lights come on it would give you the systems lowest reading. During the lighting cycle the PH will increase. If you were to check your PH at lights out you would get your highest reading. After lights out the PH will decrease through out the night. Most people do not have enough of a increase or decrease to worry about. This is also why it is recommended to check your PH at the same time of the day.
If you was to run your fuge lighting opposite of the main tank's lighting (with the main tank being 15g and the fuge being 15g) then the PH would not fluctuate due to the lighting cycle.
But I would suggest 24/7 with macro algae...