How to skimm a 55g tank??

mabee

Hi everyone, :help:
I'm relatively new to this forum but I have about question on skimmers.
I've been reading for hours without finding what I want.
I have a 55g tank with about 20 lbs of live rock and CC. I have 2 AC 50's for circulation and a Fluval 304 that came with the tank. What protein skimmer should i get for my 55g tank? I'm thinking of CCS 125 or AquaC Remora Pro but it is so confusing to me.
Should I go with insump instead? I don't have anything drilled in my tank.
I feel like I don't want to cheap out either because I feel it's a rather important investment.
I am new to skimmers (other than the HOT ones mentioned) So I would appreciate price and detailed instructions to what I should do and why.
Thanks all

mikediii

A CPR Bak-Pak 2 would probably be excellent for your system and I have heard positive feedback about them.

matt819

I agree, as far as an entry level skimmer...that's somewhat affordable, the coralife skimmers are nicely made, not to mention they work well too.

mabee

Thanks guys.
So should I go with the CSS 125 then I heard you want to go bigger but is that too big? Is there a trade-off with going to big.

matt819

I think that'd be fine...just make sure you look at it first with the collection cup screwed on, that thing's probably about 30" tall!

mabee

from my understanding no matter which one i choose (65 or 125) it's going to stick up behind my tank (I don't have a sump) It's only a 3.75' difference between the two. I have no hang-on filters so I wouldn't have to fight for space behind the aquarium. The thing is the width of the two, the 65 is 5.5' and the 125 is 7.25' so I would have to pull out my aquarium some more from the wall. Is it not worth moving my aquarium to fit the 125, Is the 125 going to make a noticeable enough difference that it is worth buying for my 55g or should I just go with the 65???
Thanks all

mabee

BTW does Coralife have a website?? I can't find one anywhere is it just me or do they not have one??

mabee

where could i buy the Super skimmer and make sure I get the updated body (I read there was some leakage problem with the older body)