How to sterilize the QT post-ich outbreak

novahobbies

I had a PBT in QT who didn't make it through hypo. For unknown reasons, I had a nitrite spike in a 24 hour period that, despite a 50% WC, the poor girl didn't recover from. Now the fish is gone, the rock and decoration from the QT is thrown out, and I'm looking to sanitize the tank, filter, and heater before the week is out. What is the best way to sanitize the tank? I was going to do a thorough scrub down and rinse with fresh water, then set it up outside and run the tank with fresh water and a 5% bleach sol'n for an hour or two, then rinse a few more times and air dry. Will a 5% bleach kill any potential cysts, and will it harm the pumps? My gut feeling is "do it," but I'm curious to see what others have done to sanitize after a known outbreak.

S

saxman

That's fine...just be sure to run some FW with chlorine binder afterwards.
If you don't want to use bleach, use a 10%-20% solution of water and white vinegar.

novahobbies

Thanks. I wasn't sure the vinegar would zap any cysts that might be on the glass/etc. I am going to re-start this QT for fish in preparation for a new tenant that might be arriving in a week or so.

geridoc

I am a great believer in bleach. We use it in my cell culture lab to sanitize all surfaces, and pretty much nothing survives bleach. After treatment (let the tank soak for a day in the bleach solution), and after extensive rinsing soak the tank in water that contains excess chlorine neutralizer for a bit and the tank will be ready to be set up again, but without any infectious organisms.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't expose bleach to pumps or anything that has or may have rubber parts. Not even sure that the silicone seals in the aquarium should be exposed to bleach for long period. However, a diluted solution should be ok but maybe a quick soak, not a long soak.
Saying that I never sterilize a QT because of ich. Just leave the tank in in hypo and without fish for a month. If it is a big concern, then use some copper treatment.

kiefers

Why bleach it? Rather over kill in my opinion. I would merely let it soak in fresh water for a couple of days. With the equitment, I have cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. and allowed them to soak in the fresh water tank after rinsing.
I too use bleach but only to clean my filter pads.