How to stop a dog from barking?

scotts

So we have a one year old mutt. We know that when she is out she barks at the neighbors. Well we were gone for a while today and must have really given it to them good because they came over and complained. Our house is higher than theirs and has an open iron fence between the yards. So obviously I can put something up so she can't see between the yards, but she will still be able to hear them.
The question for anyone else who has dogs is, how to stop a dog from barking when you are gone?
BTW this is Grace with a Kick me sticker that my daughter put on her.

alyssia

A bark collar, if our neighbors don't get one for their dog soon I am going to flip out.

tinydove

A breeder once told me to use a squirt bottle and then firmly tell them no. Does not hurt the dog.

sorry did not see the "when Gone Part...lol
as for stopping them barking when gone...never happen! your not there to tell them.

yimmy

My dog did this and we figured out how to stop it...
When he barked he was "defending out territory" and when they can go in a crate or something the only territory they have to worry about is their crate and then they will stop, give it a try it should worked, worked with out golden and 2 muts...golden died when I was 8 though

scotts

Hmmm this is interesting. I forgot about the collars when I posted this. But the crate training kind of makes some sense. We have always had the dogs in and put them outside when we leave. Since I am a stay at home dad I am usually here to stop them barking. It is just when we are gone that it becomes a real problem. I am kind of confused.......
Although I do think we well try the bark collar first. The only time Grace barks is when she is outside. The only time our other dog Maggie barks is when she is inside. So go figure. But if Grace has a collar on then I don't have to worry about where she is while I am working on something in the house.
Thanks
Scott

oaktree

The one I had beeped first not loud just so she could hear it then if she barked again it hit her and got stronger as she barked got it at wally world

scotts

Cool that is good to know. I like the thought of the tone first to give her a little warning.

socal57che

My neighbor had his dog's vocalcords cut. Unfortunately he lives 3 blocks away. Our closest neighbor's dogs bark constantly. We have complained to the landlord, but they still bark. We don't want our new 4runner or the BMW to get keyed so we just let it go. One day I will slip some rat poison in a meatball and toss it over the fence.
Irresponsible owners are to blame but dogs will get it in the end. How else might I deal with this problem without getting tires slashed or cars keyed? :notsure:

socal57che

IMO sguirting a dog with water only makes a loud dog stink like a wet dog. I've heard mixed results with cats though.

unleashed

Originally Posted by socal57che
My neighbor had his dog's vocalcords cut. Unfortunately he lives 3 blocks away. Our closest neighbor's dogs bark constantly. We have complained to the landlord, but they still bark. We don't want our new 4runner or the BMW to get keyed so we just let it go. One day I will slip some rat poison in a meatball and toss it over the fence.
Irresponsible owners are to blame but dogs will get it in the end. How else might I deal with this problem without getting tires slashed or cars keyed? :notsure:
if you go this route i garentee if you get caught an most people do you will wish you had eatent that meatball yourself. what jeffery dahmer got in prison will look like a walk in the park compaired to what inmates do to animal abusers.dogs bark that is their nature how would you react if someone poisoned your child because it made too much noise. dog lover revere them no less and sometimes more they a parent would to their own child.I know I was a dog groomer for 15 yrs and the lengths that some will go to for their pets is more than most would go through for another human related or not. try the bark collar they also make some less intense they spray a citris smell in front of them to deture from excesive barking.check out this web site on different items available to control excessive barking
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/brow...bark%20control

tangman99

The bark collar is the best route IMHO. We have two schnauzers which are the barkenest SOBs in the world. They are like little sheep when you put a bark collar on them. They also have crates that are there homes and have been since they were puppies. That is where they live at night and when we are at work. I never heard of it stopping barking outside and it has never put a dent in ours barking.
Glad to hear you want to be a responsible neighbor. I wish everyone would.

scotts

Well the collar has worked so far. My wife went out and got the deluxe model, we put it on her and she has not barked once!
T99, Sorry but the desciption "Barkenest SOBs" Cracks me up.

skrimpz

crate train and keep inside personally i dont think dogs should be outside like that, plus we had some new neighbors move in and they do that with there dogs and i find very annoying and rude, the the dog needs more room you can always use ans x-pen

socal57che

Originally Posted by unleashed
if you go this route i garentee if you get caught an most people do you will wish you had eatent that meatball yourself. what jeffery dahmer got in prison will look like a walk in the park compaired to what inmates do to animal abusers.dogs bark that is their nature how would you react if someone poisoned your child because it made too much noise. dog lover revere them no less and sometimes more they a parent would to their own child.I know I was a dog groomer for 15 yrs and the lengths that some will go to for their pets is more than most would go through for another human related or not. try the bark collar they also make some less intense they spray a citris smell in front of them to deture from excesive barking.check out this web site on different items available to control excessive barking
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/brow...bark%20control
So what you are suggesting is that I
buy my neighbor a $40 collar for each of their dogs??
Should I follow their animals around with a plastic bag and pick up crap as well??
Maybe I could buy them some friggin dog food while I'm at it.

zsalinas

Originally Posted by socal57che
So what you are suggesting is that I
buy my neighbor a $40 collar for each of their dogs??
Should I follow their animals around with a plastic bag and pick up crap as well??
Maybe I could buy them some friggin dog food while I'm at it.
For the dog poo just buy "va poo rize" lmao ever seen the show Envy?